Rumor has it Vivendi is looking into selling their majority stake in Activision

As the title states Vivendi might be selling their majority stake in Activision.  My question is who do you think could buy them if this were to actually happen.  I doubt EA could do it since I believe Activision is worth more than them.  MS and Apple are the only companies I could see having the cashflow to do it.  What are you guys thoughts?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

they won't unless they are really, really dumb.

-

also EA could do it... Comcast cable almost bought out Disney back when comcast was small before highspeed internet, they were only like 5% of shares away from owning 51%.

I thought it was a stupid move(if true) at first as well.  The article I read tried to explain what Vivendi might be thinking.  The author suggested that maybe Vivendi thinks that Activision has reached its peak and that this might be when they could get the most money when sold.  Any way it goes Vivendi would make bank since Activision is worth 10 billion dollars more than it was when they bought majority stake.

Maybe they plan to sell their Activision stake and buy up THQ since they're worth about 10 billion dollars less than when they started right now

^That would be funny as hell.  Vivendi goes into the flipping publishers business.

I offer $1

lol, i bought 30 shares of THQ not to long ago ( only ha $30 with etrade, plus the commission.

-

I doubt they will sell activision unless they  somehow also keep the rights to COD.

They are worth close to $13 Billion right now based on their valuation. That is close to 3x as much as EA (IIRC they are <$6 Billion), so I don't think they would be able to secure that kind of funding.

Sony's is hurting way too much right now to go for them. If anyone does (and even this is a stretch), I can't see Apple or even Google going for them as they wouldn't fit anywhere in their current offerings. Supporting either Windows or Xbox is not something I could see Google seriously doing right now.

I'd say Microsoft would buy them. Not just for having Call of Duty exclusively, but also for Blizzard's properties as well (World of Warcraft, Starcraft, etc). The latter would be a big boost for MS's PC game offerings.

Having Call of Duty be exclusive for Xbox 360 and PC would fit quite nicely with the cross-platform vision that they showed off at E3 as well.

Microsoft would gain considerably from acquiring Activision, but all of this is just based on rumor.

[quote user="US Revenge"]

lol, i bought 30 shares of THQ not to long ago ( only ha $30 with etrade, plus the commission.

-

I doubt they will sell activision unless they  somehow also keep the rights to COD.

[/quote]Some articles are pointing out that Vivendi's own stock is tanking, so it would help that out if they cash out now. Based on what they initially paid for Activision ($4 billion) they would make a VERY nice return on that investment. Just like the investors in Skype did.

Take the money now and run, or run the risk of it potentially losing value down the road. It's a tough call, but from the investor's standpoint I can understand why they might just unload them.

If this true. And MS buy ther half of ACTIVISSION. This means all ACTIVISSION games would be only for XBOX and PC.

Doubt it will happen to be honest