RPG games and wireless routers? Oh, my!

So i'm always looking to expand my gaming horizons into new and broadened areas. And one genre i've for some reason had an affinity for is RPG games. For some reason whenever I played one, it really made me use my intellect and had me use strategic thinking a lot, which I like to do. My problem is that I know of very few: Final Fantasy 13, Fallout (to an extent), Mass Effect (to an extent), Elder Scrolls. So i'm essentially looking for a few recommendations on a few RPG games to give a spin with via Gamefly. I already saw a game called Resonance of Fate at Gamestop and got my interest peaked by it and got that, so I suppose that's a starting point, eh?

Also, i'm looking to acquiring a new wireless router. If I said my connection wasn't next to crap, i'd be lying. Mainly, the ISP my parents have (SBC Yahoo or whatever) isn't reliable, and the wireless router we have now does the job, but it prevents me from doing a lot on LIVE. So I also need recommendations on wireless routers that can not only partially compensate for the crap ISP thats been burdened on me (if a router is capable of that, but I think it can), but also give a solid connection for when the fam wants to use the computer and such.

For referencing purposes, I have a Belkin N 150 wireless router, and i'm aware they're...not good for gaming.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

I'd recommend Dragon's Age, because as an RPG it can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be (you can put everything on default and just play through the game, or you can customize tons of spells and items if you want to be strategic on hard-modes).

I have a cheap Belkin wireless router that works well enough, but if your ISP sucks, no router is going to fix that.

While it's not an RPG, I'd recommend Bioshock since it's just a classic game. As for RPGs, I'd recommend LA: Noire, Lost Odyssey (A JRPG from the creators of Final Fantasy), and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and then a close look at The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which is probably the most anticipated game of the year. Other games that aren't RPGs that I'd suggest: The Orange Box and Portal 2.

@Moxie (not to sound like a creeper, but I strangely like that name): I played Dragon Age and traded in Origins after owning it for almost 7 - 8 months, traded in 2 ironically after owning it for 2 months. I preferred Origins, that felt more RPGish.

@Cru: I've been waiting awhile for Gamefly to send me The Orange Box, but they sent me Killer 7 instead. But I want to get a look at Noire and i'll definitely look into Lost Odyssey.

Since you already said your internet isnt very good, a router really wont help much at all.  But if you want a good router I highly suggest the Linksys WRT54G2. You might even be able to have your parents contact your internet provider and see if they can double your speed. Sometimes its only about $10.00 more a month and well worth it.

[quote user="CAMAROBOY69"]

Since you already said your internet isnt very good, a router really wont help much at all.  But if you want a good router I highly suggest the Linksys WRT54G2. You might even be able to have your parents contact your internet provider and see if they can double your speed. Sometimes its only about $10.00 more a month and well worth it.

[/quote]

Indeed, but what's the pricing for it? I need to be cost effective with what I get, i'm trying to maintain financial balance (as are my parental units). But I shall look into seeing if they could bump the speed, but then they'd probably tell me to pay for it since I work.

[quote user="RageDMX47"]

[quote user="CAMAROBOY69"]

[/quote]

Indeed, but what's the pricing for it? I need to be cost effective with what I get, i'm trying to maintain financial balance (as are my parental units). But I shall look into seeing if they could bump the speed, but then they'd probably tell me to pay for it since I work.

[/quote]

Its only $50.00 and can be used wireless or wired.   Its really the best router out there for the money. In fact the xbox tech forum suggested that one to me a couple years ago when my other router was not working very well.  Now we can run anything we want on all 4 ports at the same time with no problems at all. Usually we have 2 360s, a PS3, and a PC all going at the same time. 

Very well then, if tech support suggested it, then it must be good. I shall scour the interwebs for pricing and probably end up going to Amazon again as I usually do.

Now that the router situation has been dealt with, back to the RPG dilemma...

Give Mass Effect 1 & 2, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II a whirl!  If you don't like any of them, then just send 'em back.  And if you're interested in JRPGs, there's Lost Odyssey, FFXIII and Tales of Vesperia

[quote user="CovertBike"]

Give Mass Effect 1 & 2, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II a whirl!  If you don't like any of them, then just send 'em back.  And if you're interested in JRPGs, there's Lost Odyssey, FFXIII and Tales of Vesperia

[/quote]

I don't mean to be a "whistle blower", but Rage referenced that he knows (in which I assume he/she has played a few) of those games.

Just don't get Alpha Protocol, a few people have told me that was a huge dud.