RMG - Random Map Generation

I may not be the most experienced gamer of all time, however... i do remember TEAM 17 using random map generation a long time ago for "Worms2" and has been used more recently i am sure. What i want to know is if it is possible to make a game around RMG... and if so why not do so? it would make a unique game experiance for each person who played the game. If a story mode was included then each time you played the game youy would get a unique experiance. I'm not a programmer but i do know that setting certain rules for the generation should make it possible right? Online play would become more interesting as you could have a new map all the time instead of having to download new ones all the time... i know it might be impossible as the processing power needed for it might not be available yet and you would need a lot of time and effort and about a million different varietys of weapons etc if it was a shooting game at all... but i just thought i'd put this on here and see if i'm alone in assuming an RMG game would be popular...

Leave me some comments... i want to know what YOU think!!!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

I don't know how it would work. I'd much rather see a map creator/editor, like the one in FarCry 2. That allows regular players to create some neat maps and be played online with everyone.

Hi, is it really in the developers best interest to have RMG or a map creator?

They want to  charge 1200 a map-pack after all.

[quote user="Elite Rampant"]

Hi, is it really in the developers best interest to have RMG or a map creator?

They want to  charge 1200 a map-pack after all.

[/quote]

FarCry 3 is going to have a map creator...now they just need to support the game which they didn't with FC2.

I would love that feature in a FPS. I can only imagine what kind of levels there would be.

RMG's would be awesome, but only in certain situations. Bad thing is usually you'll just end up with cookie cutter parts patched together randomly. Depending on the level editor it can either be awesome (THPS era), overly complicated but lacking (Forge much??), or just plain garbage (MC:LA). I'd like to see more RMG's especially with dungeon crawlers or other 'grinding' types, but if it means I don't get an editor, I'd rather have an editor.

I remember RMGs in old RTS games like Age of Empires. It would be a nice feature to have again.