Remember to set you consoles to 720p for some titles

As we have learned with Crysis 2, on PS3 and 360, the game can look worse when scaled out to 1080p and even yield in slightly less frame rates.  Remember, with titles like Battlefield 3 (720p), Crysis (720p), Rage (720p) and probably probably Skyrim as well...set your consoles to 720p if the game is only 720p.  Because games that are sub 1080p, or even sub 720p like Halo 3 and Reach), only look that much worse scaled upward.  Especially with the PS3, since it does not have a dedicated hardware scaler and uses software scaling.  It's a pain but things do actually run and look Slightly better, closer toward native resolution.  

Also, these aforementioned  games are also using texture pop-up effects to reduce memory consumption, which looks crap when it takes 2 seconds to load a texture onto objects at first, or even, second glance. It has been proven on the PS3 that this is partly due to streaming of textures from a hard drive (cache / virtual memory), so some PS3 users have begun using solid state drives (SSD's) in the PS3, to reduce pop-up texture latency, as found in Rage (Youtube it)  The closest we 360'rs can get, is via a fast USB thumbdrive, perhaps, the Kingston R400 / R500 Data Traveler. I will be ripping and installing my most played, graphically intensive games to that.  

Note: Bandwidth isn't faster in doing this and therefore, loading can be slower, as HDD interfaces are faster in terms of bandwidth, however latency is much more "on demand" when it comes to texture stream requests via solid state, since there are no moving parts and it is essentially memory...for current SSD's it's the same story but they seem to help games on the PS3 immensely. Now come on Microsoft and give us larger USB support than a total 32GB's (2x16GB drives).

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="CrazyMvM94"]

I think my TV only support until 720p on HD but for some reason I set up my Xbox options to 1080p on HD and it looks just fine on my TV.

[/quote]Are you sure it can only support up to 720p? Because your T.V. would give you no picture if you put it on 1080p.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

[quote user="IsaacClarkeSNL"]

How do I change it?

[/quote]Check under display settings in the dashboard.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

my 360 doesn't even have a 1080p setting, just 720p and 1080i...i tend to leave it at 1080i since those are the 2 settings my 32' tv has...from what i understand, you can't notice 1080p until you go past 32' anyway.

transform

After reading all the posts above me I'm still confused.  I have a 32in 1080p Tv and set my Xbox the same.   Looks good to me.

Its best to set ANY device to your tvs native res to avoid multiple the latency issues the OP is attempting to explain (and these would only be milliseconds so it wouldnt be detrimental anyway). So if you have a 1080p display set the 360 to that...HD tivo, again 1080...bluray...1080.. Now if you have a PS3 is outputs their titles in whatever native res they were designed for so you tv will automatically scale (at least w/ hdmi) to what ever res those titles were designed to output.

Either way, the OP is talking like its 2006...its pretty much a non issue with newer displays/devices with good scalers

"That's too far of an overstretch"

Not necessarlily. Resolution isn't even half the story. Framerate and contrast are equally, if not more, important. For instance a 4x AA 480p image at 60 frames per second absolutely outshines a 1080p image at 30 frames.

In fact, the next generation of consoles will be about 60fps more than anything else. Mark these words. 60 fps not only adds a clarity and smoothness you can't match with resolution. It also improves controller response immensely. 1080p by itself isn't a holy grail.

[quote user="ThugLife67889"]

[quote user="Murderstyle75"]

I don't even understand the point of 1080p right now. We have heard about 1080p for more than a few years now yet the majority of all media is not unless you are watching blu-ray. This is why I stayed with a 720p set my second time around. I will finally go 1080p when almost all my games

[/quote]because only a few people have sets that do 1080p

[/quote]

There are many more 1080p sets on the market these days than there is 720p. There is also almost not a single 1080i set on the market anymore except for projectors and generic sets made by companies like polaroid yet so many television and cable broadcasts are still in 1080i.

That's entirely something different.  I was there as well once upon a time.  Go up on anisotropic filtering and down on anti aliasing? Or go up on anti-aliasing and go down on anisotropic? And so on, and so forth...yes, that is a freakin headache...agreed. However, everyone should brush up on the basics of monitor calibration.  I use this for photography everyday and it really enhances the photo editing process as well as just viewing photos.  I never really applied it for gaming (they are completely different gamma settings etc.).

The story is actually more complicated than that OP. The best setting for your 360 is partially determined by the source (the game) but also by the upscaling abilities of your tv.

I've been a videophile for quite some time but basically gave up on the subject all together. My advice, just enjoy the games and don't dive in the bottomless pool of videotech, I guarantee you'll drown. There's an insane amount of variables that determine your videoquality.

I think my TV only support until 720p on HD but for some reason I set up my Xbox options to 1080p on HD and it looks just fine on my TV.