Regional lockout on downloaded games

A while back I purchased and downloaded a game (DeadRising) via Xbox Live Markeplace. This was done on an American console with an American account while being physically in Europe. Surprisingly, this worked and I enjoyed playing the game for a while. In short, I defeated the system by somehow overcoming the massive regional mismatch that so many others complain about. However, my Xbox console died after getting the RRoD, so I got a European console. Since the American console's HDD was still working, I decided to use it with my European console. Since it had the game I payed money for, I tried playing it. What happened next is so baffling that it's hard to describe in words.

I went to the game in my libraby and pressed play. An error massage popped up, saying, I joke you not, "This disc's region code is incorrect for this console." Now, while it would be easy to ridicule the fact that a console can't discern between digital content and a physical disc, the substance here is much more alarming. I signed in with a different profile and this time it just said: "Can't launch DeadRising." If this error message isn't the perfect digital personification of the middle finger Microsoft is giving its customers, then I don't know what is.

Think about this. I payed the full price for the game. I downloaded it. It worked fine, even with the regional mismatch and what not. Then, when I (like the good sheeple of a customer I am) purchased a new console when the old one broke down, it ceased to work. It should be pretty obvious that this is intentionally coded, so the question I want to ask is: Why? And, as a bonus question, how do I "fix" it?

In conclusion, I'd like an explanation as to why you guys think it's acceptable to purposefully corrupt users' content if there appears a regional mismatch. And since I payed for the game, I suppose it would be nice of you to explain to me what I can do to fix this. Also, I feel like I'm entitled to a refund since Microsoft intentionally didn't uphold their end of the deal by corrupting digital content I had already payed for and downloaded. Cheers.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 59 Applies to:

Unfortunately, the regional lock works even for "games on demand" titles.

I think your only solution is to contact Microsoft support and ask for a refund, especially if, when making tha payment, there wasn't mantioned a regional lock of the game.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm sorry about your issue but let me try to explain why.  The Dead rising game you have on your console's hard drive is the NTSC version of the game that comes from the U.S Xbox LIVE Marketplace. This would work fine with a U.S console.  However, this North American version of Dead Rising does not work on a PAL console due to a region lock.  This lock was made by Capcom, not Microsoft, you need to complain to Capcom.

The issue would be exactly the same if you had the disc version of the game.  Your NTSC disc would work fine with your North American console, but would no longer work on a European PAL machine.

Even if your account is North American, but you are based in Europe, you will still be downloading from the North American Marketplace. Which means that if a game on the marketplace has a regional lockout, it won't work on your console.

To get around this issue temporarily, you should create a new account based in the region you are now located.  This will insure you get games with the correct region coding for your console. 

As for a refund that isn't possible, since the region coding isn't done entirely by Microsoft.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.