Region Locking

Today Ubisoft announced that Rocksmith wont be comming to europe until 2012 but it will be released in USA and the game will be region locked. Why would they release a game in one country and then wait a year to release it in another continent? Whats the point of it and what actually happends if a game is region locked? does it not play on the console or?....

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Sorry but a Regional Locked Title will not play on another Consoles Region. There are Region Free games but they are few and far between. Region Locking is usually due to an associated License or other applicable laws preventing that Media from being distributed in a specific Region.

This region lock thing is getting annoying. >:(

[quote user="CrazyMvM94"]

[/quote]

The complain to your Local/ Regional/ State/ Country Laws in regards to Media Content.

[quote user="LostKauz"]

[/quote]

The complain to your Local/ Regional/ State/ Country Laws in regards to Media Content.

[/quote]

But does this apply to us in the USA as well? While it does not hurt me anymore, it used to really suck when the Japanese always got the better PS1 and PS2 content. I still to this day have not been able to play Resident Evil (Biohazard) in its original form.

[quote user="Murderstyle75"]

[quote user="LostKauz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But does this apply to us in the USA as well? While it does not hurt me anymore, it used to really suck when the Japanese always got the better PS1 and PS2 content. I still to this day have not been able to play Resident Evil (Biohazard) in its original form.

[/quote]

Yes, all Media Content is governed by the Countries own laws a regulations. What might be available in one does not make it "automatic" in another.

While it does revolve around countries laws and regulations as to what titles can be sold at retail I don't think it bears much relevance to whether or not a console is region locked.  

I think the current state of region locking has more to do with developers and retailers.  Region locking allows developers to control the dispersal of their title to markets as they see fit and allows retailers the luxury that they are only competing with local (and by local I mean within your own region) businesses for your dollar.  

I think developers would gain from being able to put out a title and generate sales from wherever there is interest but they are hamstringed by the fact that retailers would sooner pass on a title that they feel they are strategically less likely to make as large a profit off of.  

The portable market has been an interesting test case in some situations but as online digital sales become more prominent it'll be interesting to see how the market changes.

There will always be the political and social aspect though that, potential profit and whatever prohibiting laws there are aside, neither microsoft nor any local politician wants to have to explain why young billy is able to play a hentai title that he's imported from Japan.  Just look at all the media attention that is still generated when someone underage manages to purchase a copy of GTA.  

So in the end there are both business and social reasons.  Brick and mortar stores still have a stranglehold on the retail channels and we are all still too immature and too unfit as parents to deal with world culture products.  

what if say i got an xbox manufactured in usa and play a region locked game on the american console over here would the game play?

Never heard of it.  Will it be released on PS3?  Is PS3 region free?

[quote user="WkD x THRiiLzZ"]

what if say i got an xbox manufactured in usa and play a region locked game on the american console over here would the game play?

[/quote]

You can play the game as long as the game and Xbox 360 console are from the same region.

[quote user="Elite Rampant"]

Never heard of it.  Will it be released on PS3?  Is PS3 region free?

[/quote]

Yes PS3 is region free, and Biohazard is the Japanese version of Resident Evil