Region Locked Games

Recently I have just bought two games for my kids because holidays is coming.

- Meets the Robinsons

- Space Chimps

These are all kids games. But unfortunately when I try to install, it says I can't install into my region :(

I have many other NTSC games without any problem (Singapore Set, but live in Malaysia). I wonder why MS want to lock these games. And the worst is that there is NO WAY for use to find out before we make our purchase.

It is very hard for us to buy original games in Malaysia because MS doesn't sell Xbox 360 here officially.

Is there are other thing that I can do without disappointing my kids?

TIA.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 379 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It is the publishers who choose if a game is region locked or not. The only games Microsoft can decide a region lock on are ones they publish.

-

There are sites that will tell if you if a game will play on the console you've bought or if they are region free. Here are a couple for you. gaming.wikia.com/.../Region_Free_Xbox_360_Games and www.play-asia.com/paOS-00-3-xbox360_compatibility_guide-49-en.html.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the info.

The links that you provides doesn't have to two games that I have listed above.

It is MS provides the capabilities for the game publisher to lock the game. Can't MS insist that each and every publisher print on the box and say that it is compatible with which region?

Some times I can play games from the UK, some times from the US. I have no way to tell which version shall I buy. :(

Sorry this didn't help.

Boxes do have PAL and NTSC printed on the front, so if you are unsure it is best to pick the one that matches the region of your console.

-

So for example if you bought the console from Singapore then it is best to buy the games from there.

-

It is a shame that games do get region locked on the 360. Though if you wish to avoid that then games for the PC and PS3 are all region free, so perhaps one of those would be a better option than the 360.

Sorry this didn't help.

PAL / NTSC is not equal to Region Lock code. Sometimes I can play PAL version of the games (Sonic Adventure), but most of the time I have to buy US / NTSC.

It is a 6 hours drive for me to reach Singapore, and I bought the console here in Malaysia (paying a higher price, plus no warranty).

I asked this question in other forums, and everybody is asking me to hack the console, because we do not have choice.

I hope MS can do a better job if they wish to region lock the console. As least label it clearly so that it won't confuse customers. It is like a trap now, and there is nothing we can do about it. :(

I am agreed with you that PS3 and PSN is much more consumer friendly than Xbox / XBL.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know they are not equal to region locks, any modern TV set can handle both types of signal. However if you have a console from Singapore then also buying your games from there does mean you are unlikely to run into any region locking issues.

-

Is ordering the games from Singapore from over the internet not an option since the drive is a rather lengthy one.

-

The only type of region lock that is added into the console is for DVD movies. The actual region locking is made on the disc for games.

-

I'd also not hack your Xbox 360 if you enjoy what Live can offer you, as any type of console modding as the potential to lead to a ban.

Sorry this didn't help.

I goto eBay and hardly find anyone from Singapore selling online. If you happen to know any, appreciate if you can let me know. Singapore is just too small, not many people need to buy online.

As you have mentioned buying from Singapore is only *unlikely* to run into region locking issue, but cannot 100% rule out the possibility.

IMHO, this is a very unfair practice to put buyer at risk, when it can be easily avoided by not locking, or at least LABEL the region lock clearly.

Actual region locking made on the disc, is also a capability provided by MS right?

I do not use XBL at all, because this console are only for kids, and they do not know how to use XBL as well. But again, I do not like to mod the console, but MS seems like forcing everyone in Malaysia to mod it. Because we have no choice.

Like iTune, when there is a proper channel to buy music online, many people will support original. When buying original games is so difficult in Malaysia, what do you expect me to do?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wasn't actually thinking of eBay. I'm from the UK, so you are more likely to have knowledge about Singapore stores and if they have websites than I would, given that you can drive to the country in 6 hours.

I don't think I've explained myself clearly for that second part. You are unlikely to run into region issues if you buy your games from the same place that your console is from. So for example if you have a UK console buying games from the UK would remove the chances of you running into compatibility problems.

So in your case if you console is from Singapore, then buying games released in Singapore is going to reduce your chances of running into problems.

The option to region lock is put there by Microsoft but they are not the ones who insist on publishers using it. The Playstation 3 is capable of region locking too but to my knowledge only one game has ever been locked in that way (Stranglehold if I recall correctly.)

Publishers also do tend to use PAL and NTSC as the region locking guide, this is why I see this on the back of game boxes For only with Xbox 360 entertainment systems with "PAL" designation.  and people from an NTSC region would see this For only with Xbox 360 entertainment systems with "NTSC" designation.

Even if you chose to mod your console you will still run into region problems, that doesn't help you get past them.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is the risk you take when you live in a non-Live supported region. Malaysia is not supported so you will experience issues downloading/purchasing Marketplace content and/or using Dashboard services such as Zune, Facebook, etc..

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, what can I say. When using Apple products, I feel like I am a first class customer. (iTune, AppStore)

When using MS product, I feel like I am a 3rd grade (or even lower) customer.

I need to drive 6 hours (or 12 hours both way) just to buy a game, and that can only reduces my chances of getting one with a wrong region.

If MS decided not to support Malaysia, then why not just make it region free? Or at least label the Region Code clearly on the product (this is a very simple thing to do). But instead MS decided to put this unnecessary risk to their customer.

That is why Apple kick a.ss.

Sorry this didn't help.

itunes does have region locking to some degree

also they are not limited like ms

mp3players do not have broadcasting issues like a console does

apple tv does tv signals but not ipods or iphones

also video games are not like music where you can just go everywhere with them

video game publishers MUST abide by international laws

and video games are more censored then music or tv

COD games do fall under censorship laws in many countries this does include extreme violence and torture 

this is why region locks force  localizations to abide by the local laws and copyright

Sorry this didn't help.