Re-downloading content on second console

Hi there, looking for a bit of advice or knowledge with a problem I have, any help would be appreciated. Ok, so I'm a parent who enjoys Xbox in my free time and my console is used for Lovefilm, BBC iplayer and DVDs and much as it is for games. However, my sons aged 6 and 5 discovered Minecraft about 6 months ago and so I allow them 1 hour each day on the Xbox (provided they have done their reading books first!). Recently I got Disney Infinity for them which was also a big hit. So I've got them an Xbox for xmas, it's sat at the bottom of my wardrobe right now. I want it all ready to go on xmas morning but I`m not sure how to set up the profiles and download games and content on a second console. On my Xbox I have the only XBL Gold account and this has been used to purchase all the arcade games and DLC so far. My kids have their own profiles with all their game saves and achievements etc but are offline only (no email linked, no permanent gamertag and so on). These will be moved to their new Xbox. So how do I go about downloading content on the new Xbox? As I understand it my profile can re-download it onto the new console but must be present for it to work. Is this correct? Do I need to make myself a new account purely for purchasing games and DLC? Or if I put my profile on a USB will it give me the option to purchase again on a different console? Or is there another way, such as allowing my son`s profile to purchase with a parental password? Also, the same kind of questions regarding the parental controls, specifically the timer and age restrictions (don`t want them getting hold of my copy of GTA V!!) I use them on my console now, will I need a new parent account for the new console to set up the restrictions? Apologies for the length of the post, thanks in advance for any advice!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

It is true that if you download items that you have previously purchased to a new console your tag will need to be logged in if any other tag is going to use it.  This is because DLC is licensed to both the gamertag that first purchased it and the console it was first downloaded to.  There are 2 ways to get around this:

1.  Do a license transfer of your tag to the new console then redownload the content.

2.  Keep the new console for yourself and leave the old one for the kids.

I have two consoles myself.  If there's a game I know my kids will like I download the game first to the console they have access to then redownload it to my console in case I want to play it.  This way everyone can play.

As for moving the content, your stuck with the option of using a usb stick to move their gamertags and save games.  Be sure to format the tag on your pc before using it on the console to prevent any loss of data.

Finally, you should consider adding your kids gamertags to the Live service.  They don't need to have a gold membership and will be consider only as silver accounts.  They won't really be able to do anything on Live with only a silver membership except send the odd message to friends.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.