rare games

Microsoft bought rare games a while ago the creators of donkey kong and banjo kazooie. what i want to know is what have they been doing in the last few years we haven't seen a new banjo or new exclusive from them. they made viva pinata i played the demo it was actually very addicting but they havent made anything more awesome you would think they would make one of these games now that the kinect is out and banjo and viva pinata are some what kiddie even though am not a kid those games were awesome.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Kinect Sports (1 and 2) were actually developed by Rare :)

Man... Donkey Kong to Kinect Sports. Sad.

Rare is like the Jean Claude Vandamme of video game developers. Back in the 90's they were the hotness. Everybody knew they were and couldn't wait for their next project. Now the only work they get is crap that no one cares about, and these younger kids have never even heard of them.

Rare games? Are we talking about Halo? 

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

weren't they actually heavily involved in the development of the kinect as well?

Before Microsoft acquired Rare Ltd., we got these games:

Battletoads (md)

Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (snes)

Donkey Kong Country (snes)

Killer Instinct Gold (n64)

Goldeneye 007 (n64)

Blast Corps (n64)

Diddy Kong Racing (n64)

Banjo-Kazooie (n64)

Jet Force Gemini (n64)

Donkey Kong 64 (n64)

Perfect Dark (n64)

Banjo-Tooie (n64)

Conker's Bad Fur Day (n64)

Then, in the year 2002, Microsoft paid 375 million to purchase Rare Ltd and here is the list of games we got:

Kameo Elemental Powers (360)

Perfect Dark Zero (360)

Viva Pinata (360)

Jetpac Refueled (xbla)

Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise (360)

Banjo-Kazooie Nuts in Bolts (360)

Banjo-Kazooie (xbla)

Banjo-Tooie (xbla)

Perfect Dark (xbla)

Kinect Sports (360)

Kinect Sports Season Two (360)

Rare Ltd. made many more games than I put here but I listed the perennial favourites (the ones I played, lol), the noted blockbusters that sold many game consoles by themselves. Just as OG Pooh correctly stated above, we went from Goldeneye 007, Killer Instinct Gold, and Conker's Bad Fur Day to Viva Pinata, Banjo-Kazooie Nuts + Bolts, and Kinect Sports.

Rare Ltd., I salute you. You were a fantastic developer and I will never forget the classics you brought us throughout your storied history.

- - - R.I.P. Rare Ltd. 1982 - 2002 - - -

I thought Viva Pinata and Banjo & Kazooie were both fantastic games.  The latter being one of my favourites on the 360, IMO.  I would definitely like to see them release another non-Kinect game!

Nobody to correct him yet?? Hmm. Well Rare didn't create Donkey Kong or DKC. They just developed the later games. Probably what you meant, but you know.

I agree that they need to get on some new games though. A Kameo or Killer Instinct sequel would be great.

[quote user="isturbo1984"]

Nobody to correct him yet?? Hmm. Well Rare didn't create Donkey Kong or DKC. They just developed the later games. Probably what you meant, but you know.

I agree that they need to get on some new games though. A Kameo or Killer Instinct sequel would be great.

[/quote]They never made the original Donkey Kong, but they did in fact make Donkey Kong Country.  Rare made these Donkey Kong games:

• Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
  • Diddy Kong Racing DS (NDS)
  • Donkey Kong 64 (N64)
  • Donkey Kong Country (SNES, VirtuaBoy, GBC, GBA)
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (SNES, VirtuaBoy, GBA)
  • Donkey Kong 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (SNES, VirtuaBoy)
  • Donkey Kong Land (GB)
  • Donkey Kong Land 2 (GB)
  • Donkey Kong Land 3 (GBC Japan Only)

Perfect Dark on Xbox Live Arcade was ported by 4J Studios and published by Microsoft.

Rare had very little to do with it.