Random lag spikes while streaming

My setup:  Xbox using wired connection, laptop using wireless AC.  Router is an Archer C9 with latest firmware.  Everything works FLAWLESSLY 90 percent of the time, but once in a while, every 3 to 5 minutes, there is a HUGE lag spike and the stream gets garbled and input is ignored for about 5 seconds, then goes back to normal.  When its working, its perfect.  Super fast and responsive.  Been playing Destiny from my laptop and there is NO lag at all most of the time, not even a second of input lag.  But that little spike once in a while really is annoying. 

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?  I can't imagine something on my laptop suddenly using a whole bunch of bandwidth every few minutes.  Also, my girlfriend plays the regular way (xbox on her tv) and never has any issues, nor have I when I used to be hooked up to a tv as well.  Also, never noticed any lag spikes playing any other games that occurred at regular intervals. 

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 28 Applies to:
Answer

So I think I fixed my issue.  All I had to do was update my wifi drivers.  I kept checking windows update for new drivers, since with windows 10, Microsoft was supposed to handle all those updates, but I guess Microsoft is a little behind :P.  Intel website had a much newer one, so I installed those, and so far this morning have had NO issues.  Played 2 strikes in destiny and not one lag spike.  I definitely would have had a few per strike before the driver update.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

I posted this once, but for some reason the post never showed.  

I think I fixed my issue.  I updated my wifi drivers.  I kept checking windows update for new drivers since windows 10 is supposed to handle all of that, but I guess Microsoft is a little behind :P.  Intel had much newer drivers, so I installed those and so far have not had any issues.  I played two strikes in Destiny with NO lag spikes at all.  Everything is perfect: quality and speed/responsiveness.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.