Racing game suggestions, opinions, and ratings?

I'm looking for a great racing game. i just bought Need for Speed: the Run, and am less than pleased with it.

It's been awhile (at least 3 years) sense I last really touched one. I would like it to be fairly new/recently released so the community is still alive for me to race others. also, i want to be able to customize my cars, not simply be given ones to race. and if that isn't enough, i would like to avoid (if at all possible in the search for a good game) hardcore car simulators akin to pgr. i've never been particularly good at those ha.

any suggestions??

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

the new forza is good  and it has the customisation you are after

For a Hyper realistic driving sim, Forza 4 can't be beaten for Visuals and Handling.  Now for a more Arcadey romp with jumps and peel outs etc.  I would recommend going older and check out Burnout Paradise. Wild racing with no equal. IMO

Good Luck!  Cheers!  P.S. If you get Burnout Paradise and have no one to race around with. Add me and I'll join u in a game! :)

I must throw Grid out there. I had lots of fun with the different race types It had good graphics and felt pretty realistic except the Drift mode felt arcade-ish. I liked it better than Forza 2.  If you want a very arcade feeling I'd also recommend Import Tuner Challenge (although its online mode is almost non existant)

Id recommend Test Drive Unlimited 2, its a very different kind of racing game, its more of a sim than a realistic game though.

It launched last year with some problems but they eventually fixed most of them.

Does anyone know of any racing games where drifting is the main focus? I have a ridge racer game on my PS2 that I absolutely love because it's challenging with all of the big drifts you have to do as well as nearly being the only place you can pass opponents.

NFS has sucked for a good while. FM4 is okay, but the computer AI is beyond laughable, which, in turn, makes the actual racing kind of sub-par. However, it is probably the most realistic driving game the 360 has to offer. That said, my vote for all around best 360 racer goes to the original Test Drive Unlimited. It's not as realistic as Forza, but it's not at all gimmicky either. It is overall, a much better game though.

Got Forza 3 in the bargain bin for $10, gave it a go thinking it would be garbage, imho it's actually very good. Great physics and graphics. I'm impressed enough to get Forza 4 soon

Forza 4 would definitely be your best bet.  It has all the things you asked for

Well it depends what type of racing games you like. Me I  like closed coarse racing like F1 , Forza and Dirt. Some people like the open world (TDU) or street racing games (NFS), me I can't play those racing games. If you have a PS3 they have some great racing game on there too. My favorites on PS3 is GradnTurismo and Wipeout but Wipeouts a futuristic arcade racing game.

[quote user="IsaacClarkeSNL"]

Does anyone know of any racing games where drifting is the main focus? I have a ridge racer game on my PS2 that I absolutely love because it's challenging with all of the big drifts you have to do as well as nearly being the only place you can pass opponents.

[/quote]

Yeah Forza has a couple of online modes dedicated to drifting, I can't think of any other game beside Forza though. 

Forza 4 hands down.....Start with the best, then work your way down the list.