"Pure" Character Types, Game Balance and A Warning

Just wanted to post a warning for those just getting started in the game.  BEWARE the "Pure Character Type"

I am maybe 120 hours into my first playthrough and I decided to pursue the "Thief Style" of play.  I funneled all of my perk points into Archery, Sneak, Lockpicking and Pickpocketing.  I was having a blast and enjoying the "Sniper" style of combat.  I would Sneak into Bow range and then inflict massive damage.  My henchperson would mop up the survivors.

Now I am lvl 31.   My One-Handed, Light Armor and Restoration Skills are in the toilet and the game play is way out of whack.  

This results in some pretty ridiculous situations like Pickpocketing an enemy's armor and weapons and then getting beat to death with their bare knuckles, while I guzzle Health potions and chip away at their ridiculous Health Bar.  I've had to leave my henchperson behind as enemies will detect and attack her as I try and sneak in for an Assassin's Strike.

Just my two-cents.  I am slogging my way through some dungeons using the Save option liberally and funneling every Training Dollar and Perk into Light Armor and One-Handed Weapons but it has certainly destroyed the experience.

Good luck

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

yeah, outside in the open map enemies are a set level, mammoths are like level 30ish always, same as giants, but dungeons scale to your level when you enter them, so focusing on pickpocketing/lockpicking is usually a bad idea as it gimps your combat ability, ive picked every lock ive found in game even plenty of master locks, without the need for a single perk in lockpicking. just takes practice. im playing a pure duel wield character here, recently switched up to master difficulty as it was getting far too easy. although im sure ill regret it sometime.

I'm pure thief (plus blacksmithing) about to wrap up thieves guild I think and lvl 28. I have not had a problematic my bow ... 50% pushback, 20% crit chance, double dmg, 15% chance of paralyze ...  Couple that with sneak maxed and I'm a beast! Hiding in combat makes the baddie wander off so you can re-snipe him, Brilliant!

This is why I started paying trainers to raise my lowest skill level every time I levelled up

Thanks for the heads up.  I have been running into a similar issue.  

I started with my main focus on magic,  Archery, and shield left hand magic right hand.    There are some caves I enter where I get rushed which means the bow is out.  So I switch to defense using the shield in left hand and magic in the right.  But I get pummeled and end up pounding health potions.   So now I made a "BLOCK ring" and "BLOCK necklace". Those seem to help quite a bit.   I also finally picked up a 1 handed dagger in case of emergencies or if I run out of mana.  

So as you said, sometimes you have to change up your style of playing to survive as the enemies level up.    I also need to experiment more to see which magic is most effect against certain enemies.  I was pretty stubborn and just wanted to use fire but that simply does not work on some enemies.  So I will start using ice and other magic to see what happens.  

If you updated today, you won't see a difference!  No more weaknesses bug is a biatch...

"I funneled all of my perk points into ... Lockpicking"

"I pickpocket an enemy's armor and weapons and then get beaten to death with their bare knuckles"

"{My bad choices have] certainly destroyed the experience."

Sounds like someone has no idea what to do, but no worries! Turn the difficulty down from Apprentice to Novice, if it isn't already on Novice, and you might get through a Bandit without being beaten down hand-to-hand.

its pretty funny imagining him stealing the bandits clothes and weapons only to get beaten to death by his fists.

Honestly archery+ sneak= win.

-

I didn't put points into anything else until much late ( I didn't max sneak).

-

I have never used anything but a bow, even if they get close, I just keep pewpewpewing.  

-

Lick picking is really bad though since you can just get good at the minigames to bypass any locks.

I don't use anything but a bow and sneaking as well. What I don't understand is why didn't your archer wear or skill up on armor to begin with? Even if archery is distance fighting, I see armor as a necessity and wore/leveled up Light Armor incase they ever got close. I also raised stamina a massive amount so I was able to build a distance between me and any enemies again before I started shooting. And yes, I did this in all dungeons too and played on default or Adept difficulty.

what does stamina have to do with distance w/ a bow