"On Demand" License Transfers to non-owner consoles

Not too long ago I bought L.A. Noire "on demand", and I will soon be completing it. My question is this: is it against the Microsoft Terms of Service to transfer the license to by brother's console (and re-download the game to it) so that my brother can play? I know he would be able to play on my console, but "giving" the game to him would be very convenient.

It seems like it would be against the ToS, but since the game is tied to the license (which is tied to the console), it also seems similar to lending a physical copy of a game. I would delete the game off my HDD since I would have no more need of it (and it's almost 12GB), meaning I would no longer have access to the game. It probably seems like a stupid question, but I see no need for two people living in the same house to each buy the same single-player game when there's potentially an easier, more economical way.

And with all due respect to Ambassadors, unless you can quote the part of the ToS that either allows or forbids this kind of action, I would be more comfortable with an MS official's response.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

I don't think you fully understand what license transferring is

FYI its probably not idea for you to do it the way you want to do it

and yes it is a violation of the terms of use

FYI the license transfer only occurs between consoles not accounts

when you transfer the license you transfer ALL Your licenses to the new console and it may only be downloaded with your account

it does not transfer ownership to another account

this means all your games on demand nor the DLC will be usable offline on your console

DLC and games on demand licenses are tied to your console and your gamertag nothing else

license transfers affect all your licenses not just one

it may not be sold or traded or transferred

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm aware the licence will not transfer to another account, and that's not what I'm asking.

When I download my GT to my brother's console via Live, it doesn't disappear from the previous console (like it used to?). This means that my GT could potentially exist on two consoles simultaneously and indefinitely. This being the case, I can download any games I've bought to his HDD, and he should be able to play them (so long as he is connected to Live) because my account is on there. Really, the License Transfer doesn't even come in to play, it seems.

With all that in mind, here is my question (again, but refined): Is it against the Live ToS to download my GT and digital content to another console with the purpose of allowing someone else to play?

Sorry this didn't help.

no you arent understanding how the licenses work

if you download the game on another console only your profile.can use it as long as it is signrd into live not his

onlu the original console can use the content while offline

if he is signed into your profile you cannot sign into your profile and your acheivements will be out of sync

only you will get the achievements

only a license transfer will allow him to use them without your profile being signed in however you will lose the ability to play your dlc offline as all the licenses are transfered

yes it is a violation to use content like thst for free

Sorry this didn't help.

So basically, If I want to let him play, he has to use my console. It makes makes sense MS would have figured out a way to prevent people from doing this sort of thing.

Sorry this didn't help.

all consoles do that it is theft otherwise if you abuse the 2console policy of ps3 you can face punishment on that system too

game sharing is illegal 

only disc copies woork with lending as thereis no 2nd copy unless you buy another

xbox nor ps3 can confirm you deleted it as that is easy to hide remove the storage device which can be a usb drive or hd

Sorry this didn't help.

This is true, but Steam is supposedly working on a system where a user can re-sell his game to another user. You'd think it would be pretty simple: once the transaction is complete, the license is revoked from the original user and activated for the second. Therefore, regardless of whether or not the original owner has the data, he cannot play the game.

I think MS would be very, very smart to look into this sort of thing. Maybe make it so that the game is sold for the price it was bought, but half the money goes to the seller, and half to MS (and the developer). Something like that. It'd be about the same as going through a used game store, but the dev would get a cut, as well.

Sorry this didn't help.

you cannot resell your content on steam becuase it is a clear violation of fraud laws if you do not uphold your side

you can only gift new content as you are not sharing it

you have to click gift when you buy the game

and steam can verify since you have to be signeinto the steam client

with consoles tha. isnt an option as proven with the always on protest whichbis only a rumor

thats not going tohappen

Sorry this didn't help.

again you are asking something most gamers do not want

an always on connection or a registration system

that requires you to delete the content

as per the eu oracle case

but you need to prove you deleted it

but that can be bypassed by removing the storage method when "gifting"

again you are asking for something that is a clear violation of the terms of use

you may not transfer or lend access to your content

this is with all consoles

Sorry this didn't help.