"Lack of next gen hurting creativity" says Ubisoft.

Now I know a lot of people won't agree with that statement, but I do. I have often said the same things as this guy from Ubisoft.  Read in here.

Here is a snippet and the part I most agree with;

"It's a lot less risky for us to create new IPs and new products when we're in the beginning of a new generation," he said. "Our customers are very open to new things. Our customers are reopening their minds--and they are really going after what's best. … At the end of a console generation, they want new stuff, but they don't buy new stuff as much. They know their friends will play Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed so they go for that. So the end of a cycle is very difficult.

I agree with this too;

Guillemot went on to explain that when new consoles launch, gamers are more likely to try something new, instead of picking up serialized franchises like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.

Do you guys agree or disagree? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

As a whole Id probably agree.  As for me personally as long as the game looks good to me I don't care if its on a new console or not.  I'll buy it anyway.  As a matter of fact Im probably more willing to buy a new franchise now than at the beginning of a console generation simply because of money.  When new consoles come out I'll have to start watching my money as far as games go since I'll be dropping a few hundred dollars on the console.

I never really thought about it that way. I agree for the most part. It does sound a little bit like a cop out on their part though. Just because a console is aging should not mean your creativity suffers.

I agree with BEASTmmb. I would totally buy a new ip, but we can see that a lot of good ones, especially FPS suffer because people only want CoD.

-

If there was a new console and people bought it right away, they would be starved for new games because there probably wouldn't be many to choose from at first.

-

That is a great time to try something new in my opinion.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

So... people are less likely to buy new IPs by the end of a console's life span, because by that point, they just want the same old stuff? I don't see how that makes sense.

-

He's just shifting the blame from developers to consumers, and oddly complaining that serialized games like Assassin's Creed is all people will buy... irony much?

[quote user="noboundz"]

So... people are less likely to buy new IPs by the end of a console's life span, because by that point, they just want the same old stuff? I don't see how that makes sense.

-

He's just shifting the blame from developers to consumers, and oddly complaining that serialized games like Assassin's Creed is all people will buy... irony much?

[/quote]

They want what they're used to I guess. If a new console was out, they would be more inclined to try something new. It would take me a while to explain how it makes sense. It makes perfect sense to me honestly.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

[quote user="noboundz"]

-

[/quote]

I agree.   And if the next gen has just come out and you"re releasing new IPs there are going to be a lot less people to buy it as there will be a fraction of those consoles on the market.  Which to me, seems like the worst time to try and get a new IP off the ground as you have higher costs cause it's a new IP, added costs cause it's using new technology to create, and less people to sell it to when you're done.

I can see the arguement of things getting stale(like 50 military shooters) and people just settling into what they are used to.

I just want some new Flagship franchises from Microsoft. Something to re-invent a genre. Seeing as how they got wound up in kinect, the only way we will see new ideas is a new console that hopefully isn't released with "the new improved kinect +".

ubisoft is kinda right.

if you want your new IP to sell well you release it at or right after console launch, if its good it will remain popular the entire gen.

-

however, ubisoft and their " lets make assassins creed 2 over and over" doesn't help

umm... i disagree with new ips at launch. i'd personally like sequels to my favorite franchises in the next-gen lined up for launch rather than a slew of new "original" ips.

Says the makers of AC, AC1.5, AC 1.6, and AC 1.7.