"Glitch of Doom". Does 5th Ann. have a fix?

My Wife and I spent many, many hours together adventuring through this game. We were quite leisurely in our play style. Too much so, it seems.

We ran into this horrific glitch (secondary animations freeze at a single frame. Dubbed "Abomb Glitch" or "Glitch of Doom") at around 500 hours(?!?!) and the game was unplayable from there on. We were heading to the "Shivering Isles" content and did not make it there.

Since then, I found word about this glitch online and discovered that although there was a fix available for the PC, and (I think) the PS3, there would be NO patch for the Xbox version due to the need to "patch save files", I think. Apparently this is a practice that Microsoft frowns upon.

We have not had the will to start another game in the meantime.

Now I see this 5th Anniversary Edition on the shelf at the gamestore.

Apparently none of the smaller DLC ( Horse Armor, Wizard Tower, etc.) are included.

Can anyone tell me if this awful glitch described above is patched up somehow?

If the glitch is not repaired, I am troubled that this edition was released in that condition. In fact, with the lack of a patch/fix for this problem and the fact that the DLC is not included, Bethesda is charging $30 this year for a game I could have purchased last year for $20 (new). I would be paying $10 extra for a Steelcase and some Skyrim promotional material.

If this is the case (no pun intended), I am very disappointed in what would seem to be a cynical exploitation of their fanbase.

Please tell me it has been fixed.

Thanks.

Zathras42

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

The problem you are referring too is called save bloat and there is, to be frank, no way of avoiding it. It mainly happens after you've spent a great deal of time with a save. Every save is a ticking time bomb, and that's just how it is. The only way to prepare for it is to constantly make new saves and delete older ones. It's not a glitch, it's a problem with what the game is running on. If they could patch it, they would've a long time ago. And there is no patch for the PS3 version. The PS3 version of the game has slightly better graphics, and that's about it as far as advantages it has over other versions.

So no, it hasn't been fixed. And it won't be. Ever. At least not by Bethesda.

Yeah this 5th Anniversary edition doesn't offer any new patches for the game, sorry OP.  Your best bet is to start a new game

My understanding was that 'originally' when the glitch was discovered, the way to get rid of it's effects was to  edit the game save. Easy to do on the PC, not quite as easy on the PS3 but still possible, and "not gonna happen" on the Xbox due to Microsoft's aversion/policy regarding allowing editing of game saves.

My hope was that with a 'new' version of the game could have the code altered to avoid this behavior.

I remain disappointed that an answer either could not be found (which I find hard to believe), or wasn't bothered with due to the relatively small number of gamers effected.

I am left with Bethesda Softworks releasing the "Game of the Year Edition" (currently listed at $19.99) in a steel case (whoop-de-do!), with a coupon(!?) for $10 off with the purchase of 2 items available in the Fall. They couldn't even throw in the DLC?! And they charge $29.99???!!

I'll grant you, it isn't criminal, but have they no SHAME??

[quote user="Taldarin"]

The problem you are referring too is called save bloat and there is, to be frank, no way of avoiding it. It mainly happens after you've spent a great deal of time with a save. Every save is a ticking time bomb, and that's just how it is. The only way to prepare for it is to constantly make new saves and delete older ones. It's not a glitch, it's a problem with what the game is running on. If they could patch it, they would've a long time ago. And there is no patch for the PS3 version. The PS3 version of the game has slightly better graphics, and that's about it as far as advantages it has over other versions.

So no, it hasn't been fixed. And it won't be. Ever. At least not by Bethesda.

[/quote]

It's not save bloat. So making new saves all the time doesn't prevent it.

The a-bomb is is something to do with the frame rate counter.

For every frame the game renders the counter goes up by one.

When the counter reaches a certain level the game will glitch causing some animations like fire and doors to stop working.

It takes something like 200 to  500 hours for the frame rate counter to reach the limit. When that happens the animations stop working and there is nothing you can do to fix it.

Just got to hope there are no bugs like this in Skyrim