Quite Angry Over Billing Price Issues

I'm quite angry over the fact that the U.S. can purchase 4000 Microsoft points for 49.99 + tax (1.42 dollars per 1 point), where as in Canada, not only does your site not offer me 4000 points, but I'm stuck purchasing either 2000 points for 29.00 + tax (1.63 dollars per 1 point) or 2800 for 39.99 + tax (1.61 dollars per 1 point). Obviously buying the prepaid 2800 points saves me 2 cents a point. But in America they're getting 19 cents PER POINT. I know this doesn't seem like much to people but let's do the math.

4000 points in America =  56.80 after tax.
4000 points in Canada (If we were even given this option) =  65.20 / 64.40 after tax. That's a significant, almost $10 difference.

Now normally I understand there's currency conversions etc. except if you look it up right now, 1 CAD = 1 USD. So while I understand that retail stores should be adjusting their prices and that's not your fault, I'm quite annoyed Microsoft couldn't change their digital price on their site to be fair to all. Why should Canadian's be screwed over simply because we're in Canada? That's discrimination if I do recall correctly.

So Microsoft, please explain why I'm forced to pay $10 more for my CoD Black Ops 2 Seasons Pass than the US simply because I'm Canadian. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

In the US when you buy prepaid cards you do not pay tax, as far as the market place I am unsure if tax is charged.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

There is no tax on MS Points or on Subscriptions. If you are being taxed then your issue is with the retailer/local/government officials.

Sorry this didn't help.

I haven't bought any MS Points from a retailer in a while, I may have been mistaken on them.

However yesterday, when speaking with someone from Microsoft (It was Microsoft's chat, not Ambassador) THEY informed me that the prices when attempting to purchase points on their site did not include tax, and that it would be extra.

Regardless of the fact of tax, everyone seems to be missing the picture. If there's no tax, THERE'S STILL A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE IN PRICE FOR CANADIANS AND AMERICANS EVEN THOUGH OUR DOLLAR IS ON PAR.

Let's say you're correct and there's no tax.

2800 for 39.99 = 1.43 per point., or 2000 for 29.00 = 1.45 per point.

4000 for 49.99 = 1.25 per point.

So again, guess what? American's are saving 18-20 cents per point. So again, for the math on points:

Canadian's cost for 4000 points? $57.20 - $58.00

American's cost for 4000 points? 49.99

Again, almost ten dollars in savings.

So for the people that couldn't get over the fact that I included tax when apparently it's not taxed (Even though a Microsoft Employee informed me it was), why should I pay $10 more just because I'm Canadian?

**Edit** And before we all get sidetracked again on tax, I don't really care about whether or not there's tax. My current understanding is that American's don't pay tax on it, Canadian's do. I'm not going to include that because it's just going to make the difference even bigger, and I'm willing to suck up that extra tax for me free health care. So I'll use untaxed numbers from now on. Don't bother saying "WELL YOU'RE TAXED IN CANADA THAT'S WHY THERE'S A PRICE DIFFERENCE" because you're obviously either illiterate or can't do math. 

Sorry this didn't help.

the additional cost of puting up content and offices in the canada isn't cheap you do know that right? or any other country for that matter

you do have to factor in costs

again this is fairly known

that distibution costs are higher then canada you are dealing with import taxes licenses

you do realize that importing content and stuff isn't free? or setting up businesses and deals

this isn't unique to xbox as medication and other goods tend to be higher priced then the US counterpart

Sorry this didn't help.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Comparison_of_Canadian_and_American_economies

Prices

In Canada prices have long tended to be higher. This is partly because of structural issues in Canada such as low population density[dubious – discuss] and harsher weather[dubious – discuss], and partly due to Canada's tax system, which depends more heavily on sales taxes relative to income taxes than the US. This has contributed to phenomena such as cross-border shopping. Since the early 1990s this has not been the case[according to whom?], as the Canadian dollar had fallen low enough[vague] that it more than made up for price differences[dubious – discuss]. Today prices are somewhat lower in Canada for at least one item: the Big Mac Index shows that in January 2006 a Big Mac cost $3.15 in the States and only $3.01 in Canada [1] (both figures in USD). In October, 2007 a strong Canadian dollar rose to parity with a weak American dollar, benefiting Canadian travelers and consumers. However, this was not favorable to Canadian manufacturers and exporters who do most of their business south of the border. As the economic conditions decayed in 2008, a flight to safety in the American dollar and lower prices[quantify] for Canadian commodities[which?] reversed some of the growth in the Canadian dollar relative to the American dollar.

Fuel prices have always been higher in Canada, even though Canada is a net exporter of energy. This is because Canada, unlike many oil producers, does not heavily subsidize fuel. Prices are based on the world market price.

Sorry this didn't help.

The price difference globally for MS Points is for the same reason other things like boxed games cost more when valued in real currency and that is due to local tax differences and currency exchange rates.

Unfortunately this is even more apparent in countries like Australia. It might not be fair but it also isn't Microsoft's fault for varying purchase tax/VAT rates per country.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm unsure if this is applicable but I know there are not as many active gamers in

Canada as in the USA or at least not on xbox live. The extra cost is unfortunate but may have something to do with the fact that they're not making as much money in Canada as the US. Sucks they're charging you more for the same product, but they're probably trying to keep their profit margins high for each country. Americans will come to you for prescription meds, and I guess you'll have to make the drive for microsoft points haha

Sorry this didn't help.

Advantages and disadvantages in both nations. Not anything resolvable here and today, which is the purpose of this forum.

Kyle13371337, you may register your opinion at mymfe.microsoft.com/.../Feedback.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.