Questions on buying/using a second Xbox 360 with the same account

Hello All,

I've got an existing white-box/jasper 360 at one location, but I'd like to get one of the new 360 Slims for a second location.  In order for me to use the same account on both systems, I only need to move my account to a thumb drive, correct?  And then I can just plug that in?

How about arcade games? Can they only exist on one system?

And will I be able to use the same installed game one each system with my save (eg, install Black Ops on both Xboxes, then have the disk/thumb-drive with me when I play)?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Best,

J.E.T.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Yes, you can simply store your Gamertag/account on a removable drive, rather than the HDD. That way, it will be available on whatever 360 you stick it into.

The content (games, add-ons, etc) will be available to your account on any machine, but can only be used by others on the console it was originally downloaded to or other consoles that are registered to that specific account (that's my guess anyway). You'll have to redownload them using the original account though.

Also make sure you put all your saves on to the Flash/thumb/pen Drive If you have one big enough you can save time by copying the Arcade games/DLC to the drive and then to the new console

[quote user="OG Pooh"]The content (games, add-ons, etc) will be available to your account on any machine, but can only be used by others on the console it was originally downloaded to or other consoles that are registered to that specific account (that's my guess anyway). [/quote]

Please don't guess about licensing if you don't know. Arcade games, and most DLC such as map packs, get two licenses: one for the first console it is downloaded on (for any profile to use, including offline), and one for the purchasing gamertag to use on any console while connected to Xbox Live (online only). There is no registering of consoles to a specific account as you're saying.

So the OP will be able to use Arcade games on the second console if the purchasing gamertag is brought to the console on a USB thumb drive (or recovered via Xbox Live, but USB is better) and the console is connected to Xbox Live (online). You'll also want to have your saved games on the USB drive, not just your profile, of course. Games can be installed to more than one console's hard disk drive, but I'm sure you've already seen that you still need to put the disc in the optical drive to play an installed game, so you'll need to carry the discs to the second console regardless of whether you install to HDD.

Glad to hear this.  Thanks for the info guys!

Best,

J.E.T.

[quote user="DannoMcK"]

[quote user="OG Pooh"]The content (games, add-ons, etc) will be available to your account on any machine, but can only be used by others on the console it was originally downloaded to or other consoles that are registered to that specific account (that's my guess anyway). [/quote]

Please don't guess about licensing if you don't know. Arcade games, and most DLC such as map packs, get two licenses: one for the first console it is downloaded on (for any profile to use, including offline), and one for the purchasing gamertag to use on any console while connected to Xbox Live (online only). There is no registering of consoles to a specific account as you're saying.

[/quote]

As someone who owns three 360s (all up & running), I can safely say that DL content works on all of the machines, as long as the account that originally downloaded the content is present on the machine. However, the content only works for all players if that machine is licensed to the accont that downloaded it. If the machine is not licensed to that particular account, only that account has access to it. I hate to tell you, but consoles do get registered to specific accounts. That's what the register and repair link on the customer support page is for.

I don't know if it's just the USB I got, but Midnight Club:LA does not like it. It's the only one that gives me any problems, but if my profile is on the USB, it lags the game to an unplayable state. If that happens, just tfr your GT to the HDD while you play MC:LA or whatever.

[quote user="OG Pooh"]

[quote user="DannoMcK"]

[/quote]

As someone who owns three 360s (all up & running), I can safely say that DL content works on all of the machines, as long as the account that originally downloaded the content is present on the machine. However, the content only works for all players if that machine is licensed to the accont that downloaded it. If the machine is not licensed to that particular account, only that account has access to it. I hate to tell you, but consoles do get registered to specific accounts. That's what the register and repair link on the customer support page is for.

[/quote]The registering of consoles to your gamertag has nothing to do with the licenses for DLC. My sister's console is registered to my gamertag (since I bought it for her) and she has no access to any of my content if I am not signed in on her 360.

The console license does as advertised. It gives all profiles on that console access to the DLC (avatar items excluded of course).

The account license lets a person use the DLC on any console providing there is a Live connection. Now here is the interesting part, if the purchasing account is signed in then other profiles on the console will be able to use the DLC as well, even if the purchasing account then signs out. However the authorisation will vanish once the console is turned off.

That was my bad... I meant the license transfer, not the registration. I can play any of my DL content on any console, as long as my account & content are present. But the content is unavailable to other gamertags/accounts on the console unless the licenses have been transfered to that console.