Question about router setup

I want to play on xbox live and/or surf the internet simultaneously with having to constantly disconnect my ethernet cable, can someone tell me what I need. I have some knowledge of how it works but I don't want to make any mistakes. BTW I have time warner cable roadrunner.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

I'd get a router, and two ethernet cables?

Get a wireless connector, unfortunately I can't since I'm doing a major make over for my entertainment setup room. Buy a Wireless adapter at a local electronic store or retailer, gamestop maybe or bestbuy? I have that and a wireless modem that pickups my internet connection for my laptop and desktop.

You can purchase a router and then either have a wireless or wired connection to the router. Check out this page for specific instructions on both types of connections and setting them up:

support.xbox.com/.../default.aspx

homeplugs, they are fantastic!! I have 4 xboxes connected to my internet connection, 2 of which I own (upstairs and downstairs) and 2 lodgers have 1 each

A wireless router is your best bet. Your xbox and computer can work with ethernet cables and if you have a mobile with wifi it can connect too. The set up is straight forward and there is always telephone support if you need it.

[quote user="Jago 85"]

I want to play on xbox live and/or surf the internet simultaneously with having to constantly disconnect my ethernet cable, can someone tell me what I need. I have some knowledge of how it works but I don't want to make any mistakes. BTW I have time warner cable roadrunner.

[/quote]

I too have time Warner Cable and I use my NetGear Router (WPN 824) and have had no problems with it in 4 years I’ve been online. Note: Time Warner does now offer a wireless for gaming like Xbox but it still does not support Xbox meaning you still need to buy a router connect it through your Xbox, into there router and into your PC with EarthLink cable. ......Note: Make sure your router you buy support Xbox many routers at best buy do not support Xbox. Also make sure your NAT is open, if your NAT is closed you will have issues in Multiplayer.............I do not know how Time Warner’s wireless system works if it works good or bad I found no need to it........Do your homework and a bit of research before you buy. I hope this was helpful to you.