Problems with an installed disc game

Hello. My friend gave me his skyrim and the installed game on the flash drive. The game has a ring on the disc so you have to use the USB stick. I finally got to play it after waiting a week and it doesn't work. I can't play it because the install was made on his console. It says from the Xbox Stores "You can play this game only on the console and storage device it was originally installed on. To play on this console, delete and reinstall the game. "  Is there anything I can do to transfer the game to my console?  Installing this disc is probably not an option because of the scratch. Thank you. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

BrandonFortyTwo,

The only way for you to play this game is to try to get the scratch removed from the disc.  Many stores that sell games (especially pre-owned titles) provide a disc cleaning service for a modest fee.  Their special disc cleaners can 'polish' scratched game discs so that they can be read again.  This is not a guaranteed service, but it just may fix your issue.  It fixed my nephew's FIFA 13 when it suffered a ring scratch after his Xbox was nocked over.  After the clean it was working again like new.

You can only play installed games on the system that was used to install them, regardless of what device was used to store the game data.  You either need the disc cleaned or buy a new game.

Good luck!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It never hurts to make an attempt to copy from the disc to the HDD. Another possible solution is the game on the flash drive is corrupted and borrowing another friends disc to copy to the HDD could allow you to play your current disc. Good luck to you and hopefully one of these solutions will benefit you.

Sorry this didn't help.

To Obsessive Power

How much did it cost to get the game fixed if you know?  I just want to know what price I'm looking at.

To alex568icon

I tried to install it to another flash drive and It said I can't copy or move. I will ask another friend if I can borrow their skyrim but knowing my friends, it will probably be scratched too.

Thanks to both of you. :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="BrandonFortyTwo"]

To Obsessive Power

How much did it cost to get the game fixed if you know?  I just want to know what price I'm looking at.[/quote]

It couldn't say for sure how much it will cost you, I'm from the United Kingdom.  Our biggest gaming retailer in the UK called 'Game' does it for £3.00 (about $4.7 USD). Pocket money price really.

The machine itself cleans the disc by removing a thin layer of the disc surface.  It's not uncommon for the disc to actually look worse once the process has been done.  They can put the disc through the machine a number of times to complete the process  However, I wouldn't recommend it being cleaned more than four times, as this can render the disc unplayable. Give it a go though.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. I wanted to know about what price I would be looking at. I may just buy the game on amazon because this is my friends game and I would feel bad if it got messed up. He gave it to me for a bag of cricket food (he keeps reptiles and so do I) and he said he may want it back over the weekend. Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you take it to somewhere like gamestop they spend a bunch of money on a machine that does this. They use it on all of there trade ins and its very inexpensive to have them complete this service. Save your money on a new game :) xbox one is coming out soon.

Sorry this didn't help.