Problems streaming Xbox One to windows 10 device

When trying to stream my Xbox one on my windows 10 laptop (surface pro 3), after running the test connection option my connection fails even on the lowest setting, and when trying to stream my stream lags every few seconds - even when browsing the dashboard.

I think it's an issue with my network as my laptop easily meets minimum specs, can anyone provide any advice. Neither device is connected via Ethernet but I'm able to stream from my main pc to my surface pro just fine (using steam streaming) and they are both connected wirelessly

I'm running 38mb fibre optic broadband with BT

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 40 Applies to:

Hey Pranked (I like your name :-) ),

Since the stream is lagging and it does go off of bandwidth, I see you are talking about other PC's and devices. Can you try to connected either your Surface or Xbox One via Ethernet cable to see if that adjusts any latency. Depending on your Router, it may not handle a lot of devices at once when trying to use a large amount of bandwidth. Can you try to limit how many devices you have connected/turned on Wi-Fi for while you try to stream games to see if it also adjusts performance.

Alliance United

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You may want to try running an internet speed test at www.speedtest.net to see what your true wireless connection speed and latency is for your Surface. You can also run an advanced teat on the Xbox One through Settings-->Network and see what the latency and packet loss is like for that. If you latency is high (~400ms) then this will cause buffering problems.

Ideally connecting using ethernet works best for gaming, so if you can do that with the Xbox One that will help. However I appreciate that you can't connect the Surface Pro 3 via ethernet cable unless you purchase a USB3 to Ethernet adaptor, which are relatively cheap if you shop around.

Have you tried streaming movies on the Surface Pro 3 to see id you get any lag with that?

I have a Pro 3 myself and have successfully managed to stream the Xbox One at medium settings. However my Xbox one is connected to my router by ethernet

Sorry this didn't help.

I've checked and my latency was around 140ms on the xbox one, my broadband speed on both devices was around 36mb down 10mb up. My surface had a ping of 38ms and jitter of 42ms on pingtest. Which doesn't seem great, couldn't find where to check latency on there.

Connected either device via Ethernet is not really viable for me, any other help would be greatly appreciated and thanks so far!

Sorry this didn't help.

hey guys this post are for the people who are having trouble connecting their xbox one consoles with the xbox app on windows 10. For a day i was trying different methods I could possibly think of to get this thing working.

it kept prompting me with the same message "make sure its on and connected to the same network" blah blah (even when my xbox one console was listed on the app)

i suggest following the steps that are posted on the xbox support page and check off everything that is suggested. If your still having issues dont give up yet. I WOULD SAY THAT THE XBOX APP ON WINDOWS 10 IS STILL BUGGY.

I did everything on the support page had mentioned and for a few hours it still would not work. So just coming home and jumping online I thought F&^$ it lets give it a crack and all of a sudden it WORKED!

Good Luck, cause at the very beginning it was becoming very annoying. Hope it works real soon for those having issues!

Sorry this didn't help.