Prey freezes multiple times during play

Hi.

I have trouble with my Prey-game freezing. Now I bought it new, and completed it once on Normal difficulty, and there were no freezes at all, except one time during loading a save (the game's fault I reckon). Then I started on Cherokee (Hard) to get the last achievement. I am on chapter "Crash Landing", where you see the big crashed plane. After awhile, the game just frooze, I restarted the console, loaded up the save, and it frooze in the same room again, but this time I did another action (walking towards a console). I then loaded it up again, saved at the part where it frooze up last time, and continued on. This time I got alittle further this time, approx 1 minute further, before it frooze again. Then it happened again. I then cleared my Cache, restarted the Xbox 360, and started the game. And it frooze on me again, just mere 3 minutes after I loaded up the save.

Could it be the HDD that is going nuts? I have the Xbox 360 device on a TV-bench that has much open space for the Xbox 360 to breathe, so it's not a matter of overheating (since it hasn't happened to games before). It is an Xbox 360 Elite that we bought new last year in May. The game disc is also clean, so it can't be any scratches, or else it would have gotten stuck in the same place.

Thanks for any help or input regarding this matter.

Sincerely,

Mike

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Have you tried installing the game to your Hard Drive?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I always install my games the first thing I do :).

I also tried a different strategy a couple of minutes ago. I deleted the game (not the savegames obviously), cleared the cache, restarted the Xbox 360, updated the game, loaded up the save (I only have 1 save + the autosave), and after 20 seconds of playing it froze again. Wonkers. I then tried something else. After restarting the console and starting the game again, I saved the game on two different saveslots, deleted the "old" savefile + the autosave (incase it was being wonky) and loaded up my other two saves. But same thing happens there. It can't be the save that is corrupted can it? I mean, I can continue playing for 30 seconds before it freezes.

Sorry this didn't help.

Try taking out the HDD from the 360, see if the problem is still there when you play the game without it

Sorry this didn't help.

How can I play the game without the HDD? It needs to save the update and configuration files for the game on something. I also want to mention that I tried a different game, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, and it went flawless.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm fairly confident that your issue lies in your game save since you are having this issue in the same place in the game over and over. To confirm this, try playing with a different profile to that point and see if they have an issue playing through it.

Sorry this didn't help.

It could be the save. I also want to say that it's not the same "place" per se, but the same level, and it is quite large. When I load up the save, I can always progress alittle further, circa 30 seconds or so before it freezes.

I tried something different today, which allowed me to play without freezing. I took "New Game" and "Cherokee" difficulty. I was then greeted with 5 chapter checkpoint slots that the game makes automatically when I progress through the game. They come at Chapter 1 - Chapter 7 (the one that the freezing started to occur in) - Chapter 11 - Chapter 16 and Chapter 20 I think. I had unlocked Chapter 1 (obviously) and Chapter 7. I choose to start from Chapter 7 and now I am on Chapter 10 without any hiccups. But if the save is corrupt, how is it possible for me to continue playing for a while until it freezes?

Sorry this didn't help.