Powers and Shouts

I've just starting using my Shouts a lot more lately since I killed some dragons and unlocked them with Dragon Souls but I've noticed that Powers seem to be lost when you have a Shout equipped. Would you recommend using your Powers first and then switching to Shouts while your Powers are on cooldown?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'd have to check on that one. I rarely use "Powers" as they have the same button on the controller. Do they actually have a cool down or are they a once per day thing?

[quote user="AngelusTenebrus"] I rarely use "Powers" as they have the same button on the controller. Do they actually have a cool down or are they a once per day thing?[/quote] They are once per day so I'm guessing they should be used when they are available then just switch the button back to your shout because you are always using your shouts but the powers are quite good aswell.

Not powers and shouts but kind of related and I'm curious about this because I never got them before. I never remember to use powers even as I have accumulated them from black books but, in doing the main Dragonborn quest this time I have acquired a spell that will grant me a permanent flame atronach and a scroll that will grant me a permanent revenant thrall. So, has anyone else gotten these items? Does the flame girl get stuck in rocks and such like companions do? The thrall has to be a person so who would be a good choice? I was thinking maybe a briarheart. I suppose they can be killed so I would lose the thrall in a tough fight but who would you pick?

It works the same as anything else, just balance your set up by what you use. You can add powers and shouts to your favorites menu as well, so you can switch between what you want with relative ease.

My general rule with that button is to leave it with what ever I use the most that wont get me in trouble... I say that as I accidentally hit that button at times when I don't mean to, and that can get you into trouble with some powers and shouts.

For example, I'll leave the Aura Whisper shout on it mostly, and switch to something else as needed.

As far as once a day powers go, if it's something I do use enough, I'll use it then wait 24 hours as soon as I can, so it's ready again.

I have learnt the flame atronach spell now but I find it hard to swap to and cast in battles because it requires so much magika to summon. Think I need more magika befoe I use it regularly. I just want to get into a habit of using my powers because they will really be useful if I remember to use them. At least in the storymode of Skyrim we can pause the fights and select what we want but I'm sure that won't be the case when it goes to online.

I have the flame atronach spell as well but haven't enough magic to cast it regularly. I carry staves to summon help if I can remember and think I want it. This is a masterl evel conjuration spell that I found in one of the black books. I would need a magica boost or a set of conjuration gear to cast it. It is cast once and the atronach is permanent, or at least until it is killed. I supose it is rather like using the atronach alter at Frostcrag Spire in Zoblivion. The Dead Thrall is also a master level spell but I only found a scroll for it.

[quote user="The Lady Bastet"] I would need a magica boost or a set of conjuration gear to cast it. [/quote]

Yea I'm guessing Conjuration gear and talents would make summoning easier but it doesn't seem to fit into a Destruction rotation very well.

I am certain ESO will operate on a completely different operations system than Skyrim.

They may both be the Elder Scrolls world, but Skyrim wont be any reflection on how the controls for ESO will be.

I believe Phineas, (sp) the conjurer at the college, is the best one to get master level conjuration spells from. He is the one whom I got all my thralls from. Although, TBH I didn't find thralls as useful as I thought they'd be when I first started using them (and I use conjuration a lot... for most of my builds).

First, it does take a lot of magicka to call them. Next, forget about sneaking anywhere when you have one with you. They do stay with you until they're defeated, but... how often do you really have to have an atronach or undead with you for more than a few minutes in a fight anyway? It's pretty likely that if an atronach or undead will be defeated in a battle, then so would a thrall. At least with a regular conjured soul, they will 'die off' after a few minutes if they survive a fight, as opposed to a thrall who will continue to follow you... and more often than not just get in the way when not fighting. People in towns get panicky about them and tell you to keep them away, anywhere a follower can get stuck, a thrall will as well. It's just hard to conjure good help anymore.  lol

I just tend to find regular conjured souls more convenient to use. They cost less to conjure and they don't stay past their welcome. Usually with my conjuration, I load up the tree good though and you do need to build up some magicka as well as add perks to make it cost less for higher level spells. I use double duration for atronachs / undead and I absolutely love the twin souls perk. In fact, maxing out conjuration and doing the quest that gets you the conjure dremora spell... well, if twin dremora lords can't turn the tide for you in a fight, you'd better run. lol

Dead thralls do not turn to ash after they die, so you can reincarnate them as often as you like, assuming you're using dead thrall or Soul Tear.

Atronach Thralls aren't more useful than regular atronach summon spells. The only atronach spell I ever use (I use conjuration on nearly all of my characters) is storm atronach, because of the ranged attack.

-

Otherwise, I just use Conjure Wrathman. Very useful.\

-

Fairly sure thralls have an hp/attack boost that makes them harder to kill. They're still not useful, though.