Possible solution if your disc is scratched

There should be a way to play your game even if its scratched. At the moment you can if its installed to your hard drive, but what about if it got scratched before you had the chance to install? You cant install from the disc... So I thought what if below the install from disc option (Dashboard -> Game details ("Y" Button)) there could be a install from Xbox LIVE option. So even if the disc is scratched, so long as your Xbox can determine what game it is, you can just download the same install file that would have been placed if you installed from disc... from Xbox LIVE! (Of course it wouldn't download the file where if you buy the game digitally you can play without a disc). That way if your disc is scratched you can still install to hard drive via LIVE, and any scratched disc you have becomes usable once more! Now I know this would take a lot of server space but i believe Microsoft can handle that with ease. I looked it up and for some reason i came up with around 1,129 total Xbox 360 games and the biggest install file I have ever had was 6.7gb (not all are this big) so that would be around 7.6tb needed for every game's install file. I know there's a lot more needed for this to happen that i don't know about, but i think this is possible.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2018 Views 7,176 Applies to:

I just downloaded/installed my mates. As on mine my xbox gave it a perfect circle scratch all around the edge.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Checking out your posts on the forums I can see that the scratches on your discs are circular ones.  This means that the console was moved while on and the disc was inside.  The movement may have been purposeful or accidental.  

If you have your console on it's side it is recommended to lay it flat to prevent this from happening.  It has nothing to do with the console but an accidental movement of the console.  You would never want to move a dvd player or computer disc drive while there's a disc inside so it would stand to reason you don't want the same to happen here.

I understand that you're upset and frustrated but if you are careful and ensure that the console is on a flat, stable surface you will be able to enjoy many years of game-playing and movie watching on your console just as I have done.

I have had a 360 console for about 7 or 8 years now and have only had to change it once due to age issues.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just a FYI to you, this is the support forum, this isn't the correct place for this particular post as it's not a question.

As for your suggestion, it won't work.  Xbox 360 games don't have individual ID's so there is no way for MS to know that you own the game to be able to provide you with a down-loadable copy.  Also, MS does not store all Xbox games on its servers.

If you have a scratched game that is recognised when you insert it, but either does not play correctly or does not install, there are couple of ways you can still play your game. 

1.  Borrow your friends copy, install it to your hard drive and then use your disc to run the game.

2.  Rent a copy of the game, install it and then use your copy to run it.

If you're game is so badly damaged that it isn't even recognised when you insert it, then your only choice is to buy another copy.

Sorry this didn't help.

Or you could just take better care of your discs.

-When you remove the game from the game case, make sure you depress that center button all the way until you hear the click.

-When you are not playing the game make sure you put the disc away either in its original case or in a cd/dvd binder (if you lay it down on a table top or other surface you run the risk of scratching it).

Check with your local video rental stores and see if any of them offer a resurfacing service, usually around $3/disc.

Sorry this didn't help.

As usual there are comments here that didn't take any brains to make.

But TecknoGekko (even though it wasn't a question) seemed to be the one with the brains in here.

[Mod Removed - please don't insult other posters]

BUT, I guess If you aren't close to 10 -13 years old or younger, then you would know about the 360 console that was responsible "all by itself" for scratching the game disks beyond repair &/or making them useless.

It had nothing to do with the way you take care of your disks

I myself along with literally thousands of others were getting our 50 & 60 dollar games destroyed by the XBOX 360, ITSELF.

ME & mine?

Well, I am a father & a grand father that was given a 360 for Christmas by my 2 daughters.

It was mainly for my DVD movies & online movies. Yet a Halo 3 & another game came with it.

I played the Halo game like 5 -7times in the first year I had it.  it had got a scratch on it along with a DVD movie,  but I thought it was my fault or someone else had used it.

Then for Christmas the following year they bought me a couple more games. Then in that second year I had it, it seemed many of my movies & game disks seemed to be getting a scratch around the whole thing. to me? I thought the console was moved while spinning

I was blaming everyone over a 3-6 month period, only to find out that the console had a fault & Microsoft knew of the problem the whole time & hid the problem from the customers.

The console laser head was hitting the disk.

I got sick of all my disks getting ruined & went online to find out about changing the disk drive in it.

That's when I found out about the problem.

By the time I found out about what the real problem was , I was in my 3-4 years of ownership, and  I now had no recourse of a new console or replacement of all the games or the half dozen movies that were ruined by it.

And for the games? Of course [Mod Removed] Microsoft wanted 20 bucks for each game. They certainly weren't going to compensate me for the movies either.

Then the hard drive went in it, and I wasn't getting another one at a cost of over 100 bucks for that.

But I now play GTA5 from a USB flash drive and just like TecknoGekko I believe I should be able to download a copy of a game I own as long as the disk is in the drive.

But until they (Microsoft) straighten there [Mod Removed] out, I will never EVER get another Microsoft product.

EVER

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a method which has worked a few times on my scratch GTA V disc which gets stuck at 16%. Start the install, go to the Xbox live store, and go to the game your installing. Your see the display that normally says Buy game, or Download/Install, will say the progress of the install instead. When the disc fails to read, go to Games and Apps without closing the Store (i.e. through the Home button options). Eject the disc while the install is still paused. And then cancel the install through the Games and Apps. Press B till you return to the Xbox live store that should still be on the game you where installing. Now the option is “Download”. Press it and the game downloads as if it’s a digital copy.

I can’t confirm this works on anything but GTA V, I do know however you will still need the disc to launch the game as it picks up on the fact you don’t digitally own it if you try to launch without the disc.

Sorry this didn't help.

Come on though, there's gotta be a way for us to put our Disc in the tray and MS to send us maybe the 10 megabytes we need to continue installing. This day in age, you can't tell me there's no way to verify! FINE! don't verify it, we waste our bandwidth doing so. Everyone else says install off your friends game disc! Well this would be almost the same. MS helps us get the few bits of data so we can fully install our game form a scratched disc, Xbox One unit still reads the disc verification off the disc so how would "MS" not know we own the game? Your logic isn't there. Try help your customers rather than telling us something we already know. It would be quite simple. Don't say MS can't afford the storage space, MS already has thousands of games in it's online library for download.

MS develop a way for us to get those bits of data so we can install games and not have to "ask a friend". I live in a rural area, having a "friend" isn't always possible. Trust me I'm thinking about creating a facebook group in my area for this specific reason. MS could cut that out by helping it's customers. It would and could also stop EBGames or any other game seller from making a few extra dollars by making us pay for disc protection. Make it happen, this technology would not be too far-fetched!

Sorry this didn't help.

Some people (like me) have kids, you can take as good a care of your discs as possible, and your kids can ruin them...

Sorry this didn't help.

The easiest way to solve your issue (if the disc gets scratched before an install) is to either rent it from a gaming store or borrow it from a friend.  Install it and then give it back.  You can now use your scratched disc from the install and everyone's happy again.

Sorry this didn't help.

this will never happen it would just make it easier for theft of these games as people will modify it to work without the disc or deliberatly buy a damaged disc for a discounted price so that they can play the game with a wrecked disc

Sorry this didn't help.