Port forwarding is a must!

If you are playing on Xbox 360, please enable the following online ports on your connection:
TCP: 53, 88, 3074
UDP: 53, 88, 3074

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/XBOX360_Battlefield_3/XBOX360_Battlefield_3index.htm

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Not really.

[quote user="Spud 72"]

Not really.

[/quote]

Agreed.

OP, Port Forwarding is not required and in fact can hurt performance that is dependent on what type of Private Network is created to begin with. For example, you will actually reduce the quality of Service and possibly result in Strict or Moderate NAT Settings if Port Forwarding is used along with UPnP and DHCP (Dynamic IP/ Automatic). PF should only be used on a Static IP Address, not Automatic Settings (which most people use now anyways).

You need to open these ports for  the 360. That is the point of port forwarding. It only allows these ports to be open for 1 device on your network.  This is what give you a open NAT. You can still use automatic IP you just need to set your MAC adders so it gives your device the same IP every time. OR setup a static IP for your 360. It is vary easy to do and will help with many of the problems people are having with the 360,PS3 and even PC.

You only need to forward ports if you don't have an open NAT.

[quote user="Unreal Warfare"]

You only need to forward ports if you don't have an open NAT.

[/quote]

Witch is about 80% of the people playing. On COD in every game most people have closed NAT.  That is why i say it is a must! And it would help a lot of people. Including me on the other end of the connection. Why are so many people against doing this? It takes 5 min.

Because it's an individual problem, not a necessity for everyone. You make it sound like "everyone" should do it when they don't need to. Think about your wording.

The fact is most people do not know they have a closed NAT. This does nothing that would effect the rest of your network and would solve a lot of people huge head aches. Sorry for helping. This is why i hate these forums. Back to game forums, At least  their people just say think you for the input i will try it and see if helps. And i still think EVERYONE that runs a 360,PS3 or PC game online should still do this. It helps. That is why when COD came out they told everyone to do this. Just like BF every time they release one they say to do this. Just passing on the word that these company's including MS have been asking people to do for 3-4 years now.  I get your points, but it will do nothing but help.

[quote user="MISFITSWITCH"]The fact is most people do not know they have a closed NAT. This does nothing that would effect the rest of your network and would solve a lot of people huge head aches. Sorry for helping. This is why i hate these forums. Back to game forums, [/quote]

I can understand that you are trying to help people and it is appreciated but giving advice on Networking is tricky at best. You have to keep in mind Networking is that of a personal decision and what "works" for someone may not and could even hurt others.

Like I stated above PF is not the end all be all solution. It only works if someone has a Static IP Address. It does not work and can even hamper the performance of a Dynamic IP Address (DHCP/ Auto). Most Routers will have a Conflict of Interest when trying to assign Multiple Solutions to one Device. That being said, you can't use PW along with what the common Set-Up of an Automatic Settings.

[quote user="LostKauz"]

[quote user="MISFITSWITCH"]The fact is most people do not know they have a closed NAT. This does nothing that would effect the rest of your network and would solve a lot of people huge head aches. Sorry for helping. This is why i hate these forums. Back to game forums, [/quote]

I can understand that you are trying to help people and it is appreciated but giving advice on Networking is tricky at best. You have to keep in mind Networking is that of a personal decision and what "works" for someone may not and could even hurt others.

Like I stated above PF is not the end all be all solution. It only works if someone has a Static IP Address. It does not work and can even hamper the performance of a Dynamic IP Address (DHCP/ Auto). Most Routers will have a Conflict of Interest when trying to assign Multiple Solutions to one Device. That being said, you can't use PW along with what the common Set-Up of an Automatic Settings.

[/quote]

As i said you can use DHCP if you setup the device mac adders to give the same IP every time. All routers make a Table and remember what adders is assigned to a device. When i device is trying to get a IP the router looks at the mac adders and says, I already have this device stored and give it the same IP over and over. If not you would have 200 different IP's. And most routers you can clone the mac adders and make it give that device the same adders every time and let the rest of the devices get AUTO/DHCP. If you read and set things up right there is no harm in doing this. Only a very few have smart routers/switches that this may effect and those people know what they are doing and would set it up the right way. Any way if you are playing COD and you see strict NAT do this and it will go away. If you are seeing huge lag and get kicked from BF over and over DO this and it will probably help.

[quote user="MISFITSWITCH"][quote user="LostKauz"]Snip-[/quote]

As i said you can use DHCP if you setup the device mac adders to give the same IP every time. All routers make ...

Any way if you are playing COD and you see strict NAT do this and it will go away. If you are seeing huge lag and get kicked from BF over and over DO this and it will probably help.[/quote]

This is not meant to run into a debate over Private/ Home Networks but you cannot say "all" when it is very dependent on the Make/ Manufacture and Firmware of the Router. There are many Routers that do not Support the MAC Address Field for PF nor do they allow it to work in conjunction without Conflict with Multiple Solutions.

And just an fyi "lag" or correctly Latency is not a result of any NAT Settings. The only thing NAT effects is Matchmaking/ Chat (Game or Party) and Sending Messages (in the rare cases). The only thing that would effect Latency would be, Ping and Bandwidth available, that's it.

Bottom line, I can tell you from personal experience with my Equipment, assigning Multiple Solutions will only result in Strict NAT Settings. So the advice of PF is a no go. Case and point, I have no PF and I am only using DHCP and UPnP with Open NAT Settings.