Points I purchased now expired?

In the fall of 2011, I purchased some 1,600 point cards for $20 each at Kmart here in Indiana. I redeemed the cards to my account so I'd have the points to use in the future for games and rentals. I had approximately 4,900 points on my account.

I got busy with work, and hadn't turned my XBOX on in quite some time, but when I did (fall 2012), my account had been hacked and my points were spent. XBOX fixed this, and restored my points.

Now in March 2014, I got an e-mail saying I had a cash balance of $3 and some change. I found this odd, as I shouldn't have any cash balance. I contacted XBOX, and was told my points expired.

NO WHERE on the cards you buy at the store or on Amazon does it say the points expire. I've tried contacting XBOX customer service, but incompetence abounds. I tried filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, but the BBB notified me that Microsoft doesn't accept BBB complaints. It appears XBOX doesn't have a US address to contact. I'm pretty much ***, but am going to file a complaint with my attorney state general.

Anyone have any suggestions on this? According to federal law, gift cards can't expire for 5 years, as law was passed in 2009 to protect consumers from gift card thieves like Microsoft.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

MS Points had been retired quite a while ago in favour of a currency system.  It was stated that points that you had on your account would be transferred to currency but would expire within a year if they were not used.

support.xbox.com/.../microsoft-points-retire-faq

Sorry you lost them but notifications were posted.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Actually just to add, it's not the points you purchased that expired. When Microsoft reimbursed you for the points being stolen, the system saw those as promotional points. All promotional points expire within a year of receiving them.

Sorry this didn't help.

Due to the situation, contact Xbox Support. I had this same problem with a refund due to nonworking content. The points had expired out of nowhere. I contacted Support and they fixed me up.

Sorry this didn't help.