Please advise on whats causing my sons games to glitch

Hi

my son has a Older white xbox 360 with a 20gb Hard drive its the one with the HDMI though (2-3 years old)

It has started glitching when playing games though ,

it is just like the film Wreck it ralph where as characters jump and flicker and the backgrounds look strange this happens on games on disc and downloaded games also. There are only 2 games that play ok which are arcade games minecraft and another.

The menus and online videos play ok also ,i have looked online about the issue and have tried different things to help the things ive done so far are 

Took hard drive out and tried it

Deleted system cache

Deleted system updates and re-downloaded to latest version

Tried numerous hdmi cables and composite cables

restarted console

heres a youtube video i made of it happening if you skip to about 1 minute you can see it

http://youtu.be/hNqzeM_-JEY

From what i can make out online it may be a GPU problem if this is the case what things can i do to fix it?

I know about computers and thought about taking the console apart and clean the GPU up and apply some thermal paste is this a fix that might fix it?

thanks for any info

steve

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNqzeM_-JEY]

a clicky link

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Are you now or have you ever recieved any red lights on the front of the console? there is something wrong with the console, and yea it could be the GPU but it could also be many other things too, red lights would help us find a genreal issue and narrow it down.I would advise that you do not add an new GPU's because if xbox picks up that you tampered with you console you could get a console ban, but thats only if you connect to the internet.

Sorry this didn't help.

For what it's worth, that actually doesn't look like normal GPU failure.  GPU failure usually manifests itself in green pixels, screen tearing, and black planes.  You just have a character fluttering about on the screen and possibly a missing texture.

If this is happening with digital games delete them, then clear the cache, power cycle the console, and re-download them.

If this is happening with disc based games inspect the disc for damage. 

Finally, never open your console or do any type of home repair as these are strict violations of the Terms of Usage agreement and can get the console banned from Xbox LIVE. 

Sorry this didn't help.

cheers guys

no its never had red lights in the few years he's had the xbox its only been used probably 20 odd times,

its happening with all types of games digital,discs,demos but for some reason minecraft plays ok

i've deleted ,re downloaded games and cleared caches

yeah i still want to connect to xbox live so guess i won't open the box now

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately if you tried that all you can do is send it in for servicing.  Normally GPU failure is accompanied by red lights, error codes, etc. though.

Feel free to phone support, they might know of something that was missed over here. 

Sorry this didn't help.