Playing xbox original games on the xbox 360

I once owned the Original xbox and later purchased the older version xbox 360. I kept all of my favorite games from the Original and played them on my old xbox 360 after buying the needed side panel hard drive. This worked perfectly until I had to toss out the old xbox 360 due to the "red ring of death". I purchased the newest version of the xbox 360 and have been playing the xbox 360 games just fine. It said it required an "official xbox 360 hard drive" to play the original games. I went to radio shack and purchased said hard drive. I updated and installed it without a catch onto my computer then plugged it into my new xbox. When I try to play my old games it says I still need to purchase the hard drive to play games. I went into my "portable devices" and "storage/memory" sections and It wasn't recognized in either place only saying I had the 2 storage devices, the same Ive had all along. I got the directions to set up the hard drive from the man at radio shack. I also went and searched every page of Xbox.com and it never came up with a solution. Both of the new Xbox 360 and the Hard drive are brand new. I have also tried just setting up a thumb drive and the pictures and music came up but not the storage. Once again still wanting the hard drive. its really been stressing me out trying to get this figured out I've put in a *lot* of money and time for this. Thanks sooo much for helping.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 33 Applies to:

sorry when you plugged it into your computer which you are NOT supposed to do it basically wiped all the 360 stuff of it it it can never be used as a 360 drive again.  all you had to do was plug it into your 360 and it should have been good to go, the guy at radio shack was wrong, you can try exchanging the hard drive but there is no way to restore it back as a 360 drive.  also you do not need 2 threads about not being able to play the old games keep it to this one thanks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just out of curiosity, was the hard drive an official Xbox hard drive?  If not, you do need the official one.  As davemcfly85 said though, if you do get one just pop it into the console when you do get one.

Sorry this didn't help.

You have always been able to play the original xbox games on the xbox 360, however the control set up is different between the various games

Sorry this didn't help.