Playing without CD

Kindly help regarding playing without CD, if I use CD too much I see it's become old and scratched, so please tell me how I can use my 250 GB built-in memory, i want to save the games inside this bid unused space then play without CD. thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 49 Applies to:

Short answer would be No, you can't play without the Disc. However, you can install the game to your Hard Drive but you need the disc in the tray while you play. You can't play it without said disc.

To do this you need to press 'Y' on the game selection to bring up the options, then select install game. It will install, taking 5 minutes or so depending on size.

But again, you need the disc in to play the game.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just add my little bit.  Your discs won't scratch while being read. Scratches normally occur when the discs are handled or when they are left out of their cases.  Installing your games to hard drive actually reduces the wear and tear on the DVD drive rather than the disc.  Since you have a 250GB hard drive, I would recommend you install them anyway as it reduces the loading times and speeds up access times.

You still need the disc as this is to prevent piracy, after all you can rent many games these days. If you could still play these games after you returned them, the publishers would not be very happy now would they? 

The only games you play without the disc are the games on demand software available via the Marketplace.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I have a follow-up question to this.

Personally I have tried to wait until games are available for on-demand to buy them so I do not need to swap out the disc. This has been annoying at times as I have to wait several months before it comes out, and they don't always. I have given in for some games like Red Dead Redemption, Dead Rising 2 and Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit. I bought these so I could play them right away. However, now all of these are available for on-demand. Is there any way at all to convert my full purchased disc into on-demand somehow? I am fully aware that games are available for rent and other piracy reasons that this is probably not an easy thing to do, but I have full packaging and the case and disc. Would my only choice be to sell my disc and re-purchase it for on-demand? I would be happy to pay an extra change to "convert" my game into on-demand somehow by mailing it back somewhere. I guess this would be similar to selling it, but hopefully I wouldn't have to pay full price again.

In general my reasons are just convenience. It isn't just the issue of the disc getting scratched by the Xbox or not, but I have young kids that have taken my games out and damaged them before. It is also annoying if I want to swap between games. My kids play Kinect games a lot, and if I want to play one of my games I have to constantly swap them out. I've also had situations where we take the Xbox on vacation with us and forgot a game. Digital distribution is so much more attractive and convenient (I am a huge PC gamer and am spoiled by Steam) and is where the industry in general is moving. Not to mention multiple discs like Rage. Who wants to swap between 3 discs? I know this is a tough issue to address. If games could be purchased with a special key code to unlock the on-demand version (even for extra charge) I would go this route. Otherwise, I'll just keep waiting until they come out on-demand.

P.S. I bought Fruit Ninja Kinect on-demand, and there is no way to launch the game without using a controller from the Xbox dashboard. I've tried everything from the Kinect hub but can't figure this out. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

The short answer is no there is no way to convert/swap/part exchange or trade a hard copy game bought from a retailer into a digital copy from God or any Marketplace titles in general.

You would need to purchase the games again from the LIVE service (at the listed price for all users) in order to play them without the need of a disc.

Sorry this didn't help.

That's what I figured, thanks. Last question on this would be, has anyone done this and if so can you confirm that any saved progress made rom the retail disc game would be picked up by the LIVE on-demand version? I ask this because I did this specifically on my PS3. I bought Burnout Paradise on disc and played through the whole game, then it was available on the PSN for digital download, so I re-purchased it, but I had to start my entire game over from scratch. I know Xbox LIVE is completely different, but if someone could confirm this works, I would happily re-purchase my games on LIVE and sell my disc to someone else.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Anytime I'm happy to help if I can :),
As long as its the same game you are trying to play the save file will work just fine so long as you are playing with the same account you played it on before whether using a hard copy or digital. The save is linked to your gamer-tag not the specific unit of the the game.

Sorry this didn't help.