Playing off the HDD:

Hi there,

So, my best mate had the copy of Black Ops I have, he tipped his console on it's side when cleaning, and when he turned it on, the DVD had come loose in the tray, and the tray basically scratched the disk in a specific area quite badly.

So badly, that when playing multiplayer, or even looking at video clips from the maps WMD and Array, the console will crash everytime, about a third into the loading screen.

I have a USB flash drive, and not a HDD. It's 16GB, I saved his copy of Black Ops (new and unscathed) to my flash drive (USB), but it still crashes when loading Array and WMD.

Now I was wondering something;

If I were to purchase an actual HDD and save my mate's good copy to it, will it negate the need for the DVD when loading the maps? I know you need the disk inside the console, but I assumed saving it to the HDD would make it so it loaded maps via the HDD and not the DVD, much like how PC's usually only use the DVD in the tray for the booting of the game, so the disk can't be passed onto everyone blahblah.

Can anyone confirm that Black Ops saved to their HDD loads from the HDD and not the disk on multiplayer maps?

The reason I ask is, when turning on my console, I'll need to manually login, unlike everyone with a HDD, it automatically logs in. I'm thinking maybe there's a fundamental difference in how the Xbox uses the HDD compared to the USB drive? I don't know, I'm just guessing at this point, in the hopes there is an actual point in saving the game to the HDD. :p

Otherwise, I'll need to get a new copy of Black Ops, and I can get a 120GB HDD for the same price as a second hand copy of Black Ops on eBay, I aint made of money, hence my dilemma.

Any assistance, would be greatly appreciate, thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

When you install a game it is locked to the console ID for the 360 it was installed on.

So that means if you installed your friend's copy of the game to the USB stick it will only load that data on his console. Put that USB stick into your console and the game will still attempt to load from the disc.

You will be able to use the USB stick but you'll have to borrow your friend's copy of Black Ops and install it to the USB on your console. You'll then be able to use your scratched copy of the game to authorise the game for play.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply mate. :)

Yeah, that's exactly what I did, borrowed his DVD and installed it on my Xbox round my house, with the USB Flash Drive in, then gave his game back and used my scratched disk.

This is why I'm considering the possibility of a mechanical HDD working differently with the Xbox, than a USB Flash Drive.

I'll give it another try today, it sucks moreso 'cos Array is my all-time favourite Sniping map, and WMD is also up there. :P

Also, he may have installed it onto his HDD, so maybe that affected it?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.