Playing multiplayer games on-line

My brother and I want to play multi-player games on-line, but we're not sure how it works.

I won't have a Gold account until next week, so we'd like to be prepared to play when I get it.

Our main question is, do we have to have the same games, or can one of us just invite the

other to join in on his game?

We would appreciate any advice we could get on this matter.

Thank You.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Since your post is relevant to Xbox Live, not Games for Windows Live, it is being relocated to a more appropriate forum.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

me and my wifey play on the same xbox ...if we dont have the same game we just do that instead

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are playing on one console using split screen then you will only need the one copy of a game. If you have two consoles and two Gold accounts then you will also need two copies of the game.

All games work differently but generally it will work similar to this:

One player loads the game and presses the Guide Button (big button in the middle of the controller) and selects your on their friends list and picks "Invite to Game"

You will get a message that you have been invited so you press the Guide Button and accept the invite.

Xbox Live will connect you together (either loading the game if you haven't already or will just connect you together if you have already) and then the person who sent the invite can search for games and it will connect you both to the same game.

Also, if your brother is in a game playing then you can press your Guide Button and select his name and use "Join Session In Progress" and it will connect you into his game if there is room in the server.

Sorry this didn't help.