Playing games on XBox and Windows

These are great news! Having a single source for buying games is excellent!

I want to know If I buy a game here; a single purchase will let me play the game in both platforms? Xbox and Windows like in Steam???

In Steam it is possible to play purchased games (in Windows and Mac) with a single purchase.

If this is possible, I'll start switching from Steam to XBox live.  Because I am not currently using the xbox as my primary game system.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

It is not possible I'm afraid. Games for Windows and Xbox 360 are treated as separate entities.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

They send a promotional email:

On July 11, GamesForWindows.com merged with Xbox.com, expanding the possibilities for dedicated gamers like you.

Xbox.com is now your single destination for LIVE gaming experiences across Windows® and your Xbox 360® console.

Browse, get details, and purchase your favorite games for both PC and Xbox 360 in one easy-to-use location. And your friends list and gamerscore can follow you wherever you go.

Sorry this didn't help.

The websites were merged so you can browse the marketplace from the same place, but the games still only run on the platforms they were designed for.

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand the diference on platforms. But on Steam you can buy a game (Splinter Cell Conviction for example) and download it on two computers one Mac and the other Windows.  These are different platforms too.  If this is true for xbox live, you could buy COD and play it on your PC and the XBox but with a single purchase.

This is easy to answer.  If anybody buy a game and the game is available for download on the Xbox and the PC, the answer is: yes.

It seems that I'll have to wait until COD MW3 is released (Nov) to know the answer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Let me use an example.

I buy Batman Arkham Asylum from Games on Demand on the Xbox 360. However that purchase only let me play that game on the 360.

If I want to play Batman Arkham Asylum on my PC I must pay again for the PC version.

Also not all games on Steam are available for the Mac and a PC. It is actually quite a rare thing for that to be the case.

Ps. Modern Warfare 3 wont be a GFWL title on the PC.

Sorry this didn't help.

That's the kind of answer I was expecting.

But I think you did this purchase before July 2011, right?

That's why I am asking this today after the merge between xbox live and GFWL.  I just think that it would be great.  That can make you decide buying a game on steam instead of GFWL.  

It is also true that not all the games on steam can be run on Mac and Windows but there are games that do.

I will wait to see if someone buy a new game (after the merger) that is available for the two systems in order to confirm the need to buy the same game twice.  

It could work with online games that require validation before playing. (so it can't be played on two systems at the same time.)

You can place a pre order on the PC version of MW3 on their site.  It is a bad thing that GFWL does not have it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I like your optimism about this but don't you think if such a policy were going to happen that they might just have started promoting it by now?

Sorry this didn't help.

It won't happen like that.  The systems have merged to make buying content easier, but you will still have to buy another copy of the game if you have a Gaming PC.

Also Modern Warefore 3 on the PC isn't a Games for Windows branded title, so it probably won't be available to buy from the GFWL marketplace.

Sorry this didn't help.