Playing an Installed game with scratched disk :(

Ok so I own the Naruto Ninja Storm 2 for the 360 and for some reason the disk got scratched badly causing the game to freeze when ever I finish a fighting round. I did some research and found out that I can use a clean copy the the game and install that onto my Hard Drive and then put in my scratched cd because apparently the xbox only needs the cd to verify that its your game. However I did exactly that (borrowed the game from a friend to install it) And it still freezes at the same exact part of the game. Is the game still running off the CD or what? Is there a way around this?? Help would be appreciated :(

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 19 Applies to:

Oh and one more thing. When I went to install the game with my friends cd, I was over at his house using his xbox to install it on my hard drive. I even tested it out (using his xbox and my Harddrive and scratched CD) and it worked fine. But when I went home to try it, it froze like it would normally do.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The only thing I can think of trying would be installing the game onto your machine using your friends disc?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hm I thought about bringing my whole xbox over there to install it on my own console, but instead I just brought over my hard drive and used his console. Mainly because I didn't think that the console in which its being installed on mattered since the game is installed on the Hard Drive and not the console itself.  But next time I just install his cd using both my console and hard drive just to be sure.

My thing is since the whole game is already installed on the drive why does it even still need to read that cd (after the game starts up and is verified that its the actual game)

Sorry this didn't help.

When you install a game to the hard drive, the console you installed it on is also recorded during the install. So, if you install a game on your hard drive, but on a different console it will not read that install on any console but the one it was installed to. If that makes sense.

When I last had my console repaired I had to delete and re-install all of my games, as Microsoft replaced my 360's motherboard. Different motherboard, different console as far as my game installs were concerned. You can use a friends disc or a rental copy to make a game that is too scratched work, but it must be installed using your console, it won't work if you use a different machine. It will just read from the disc..

As for still needing the disc, this is obvious. Since you can rent games or borrow your friends games, if the machine didn't require the disc you could just rent and borrow as many games as you like for next to nothing. This isn't good for the games industry.

Sorry this didn't help.