Playing a game early

Hello, to whom it concerns :)

I have a connection with an employee at EB games, who tells me he can get me the new GTA tomorrow. I'm aware this is a HUGE game, and was just wondering if this is something you guys would be banning for? I'd hate to lose use of my console for playing a game I bought early. I can wait of course, but really don't want too! lol!

I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. In a rush to get an answer and didn't really look anything over. :)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

You can't be banned for playing a legit copy of a game early.

In this case though i'd wait as Rockstar have some very strict rules in place for GTA V,although they can't ban you from xbox live it may cause a lot of problems.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Microsoft has been known in the past to ban people for playing games early--Halo 3 comes to mind.  Breaking street date is a big no-no in the entertainment industry.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would recommend that you just wait until the game comes out then purchase it, just so you can be fair and not be ahead of everyone else.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would also wait until it is officially released, as others have said; people have been banned for playing a game too long before it's release. If you play it a day or two before release, it should be okay, but too long before could get you in trouble.

Sorry this didn't help.

Last time I got a game early was Halo 3: ODST like 4 days before release and I didn't get banned for that. As long you have a legitmate copy of the game then you should not be banned.

However since Rockstar Games has a VERY strict embargo in place which means you'll get into trouble for posting leak footage on Youtube, Dailymotion or streaming on Twitch.

If you are concerned about being banned then you could always just play it offline on a separate profile.

XNA is going to be great

Sorry this didn't help.

As long as you don't break the rules with the Rockstar rules and regs. with releasing information of the game prematurely, there is nothing stopping you from playing this game early, there are companies like Achievement Hunter who occasionally get a game early from the developers, but are not allowed to release content until the embargo has been lifted. If you can get the game as cheap as a "day one" version, and it is a legitimate copy, I would go for it, you cant play the multiplayer till October 1st. If you were to purchase it early and play it, just keep offline as Xbox Live cant recognise your game progress. Essentially, if you play it in secret until the 17th, no-one is going to ban you or hinder you in the future. We shouldn't encourage this early access, but it sometimes happens to us if the pre-order is shipped early like my Halo Reach. I was not banned as it was not my doing that I received an early version of a legitimate copy.

Sorry this didn't help.

It is not worth the risk for 3 days

Sorry this didn't help.

I used to work at a gamestop and breaking street date is a very very serious issue. Everyone involved could face serious fines and possible jail time depending on the scale. That store also faces getting shut down, everyone losing their jobs, and you could be thrown in with them. Those fines are so high that only corporations can pay them which is why it could lead to you, your friend, and the manager of that store ending up in jail. I think your console being banned is a possibility but under these circumstances, the LEAST of your worries...

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually Whipidhinio it does violate the rules. As stated in the Code of Conduct that every user agreed to abide by, section F. Cheating and Tampering states: "Do not play a game before it has been authorized for play on the service." Street date on GTA V is 17-Sep-2013 and that is when it is authorized to be legally played regardless of how you may have obtained the game.

Sorry this didn't help.