Play to feature in Xbox video app stops working after around 30 minutes

Hi all, hope someone can help me.

I manage to get video to stream to my Xbox, from the Xbox video app on Windows 8, using the "Play To" feature and it works really well....but only for the first 30 minutes or so.

Suddenly after around 30 minutes, it stops playing through Xbox and starts playing on the Video app on the Windows 8 laptop I was previously streaming from. If I try to use the "Play To" feature again, my Xbox doesn't show up and it just says "You don't have any devices that can receive content from Video". The only way I can get the Xbox to show up again is by disconnecting from my wireless network and then connect again and even then it will only play from the beginning (if I try to fast forward it from the app, it doesn't work).

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 28 Applies to:

I wonder though if this belongs in a Windows 8 forum and not in a XBOX one... It doesn't look like an XBOX issue to me...

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Same problem here. Just got an XBOX One and I'm using my Surface RT to stream videos to it. It doesn't matter how I set up the power settings, after anything from 5 to 10 minutes the playback stops. If I log back in to the Surface fast enough I see a red icon in the Play To XBOX window, which quickly disappears. One time I logged back in quickly enough that the playback continued without me taking any further action. It looks like some device or service is being shut down, irrespective of power settings or the Surface going to sleep or not (I have it set to not go to sleep for 3 hours). I'm thinking about calling tech support about this...

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here.  Exactly as you described it.

My current workaround is to leave the "Play To - XboxOne" window minimized after playing something to it.  Then just drag and drop compatible video files into the window.  Even though your system will say the XboxOne somehow no longer exists, if you have that window up and drag video files into it, it will continue to work.

But it would be much nicer if the problem didn't occur in the first place.  ;)

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the same issue here. This is very frustrating. Video play back from my windows 8 laptop to my xbox 360 works fine for about 30 to 40 minuets then the stream to the xbox is interrupted and playback resumes on the laptop.  When attempting to resume "playto" the xbox is no longer listed in the available device list. Sometimes toggling wifi hardware  on the laptop off then on refreshes the list of "playto" devices and sometimes it does not.

Asus q400a Lap top i7 8 gigs ram (set to never sleep)

Xbox 360

Netgear n600 dualband wireless router.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Niki! That's quite funky indeed.  So like, ever time you use the "Play To" going from your Win 8 Laptop to your Xbox system, after ~30 minutes it will bump back to the laptop and then not recognize your console until you disconnect/reconnect it to your home network?

Hard to say specifically what's going on, but there's definitely some basics we can start with to get it working.  Here's what I'd like you to try:

First totally delete and re-install the app on your console.

If that's no good, we should try restarting the home network- like unplug both the router and modem for a good couple minute.

If it's still no-go then, let's try them connected to the network on a wire if possible.

Sorry this didn't help.