Overpriced DLC, sell Seperate Maps or decrease Price!

Call of Duty 5: World at War and Call of Duty (6): Modern Warfare 2's DLC prices are the standard 800 XBL Microsoft Points for a download, but now for Call of duty: Black Ops the price is 1,200 XBL Microsoft Points.  In my honest opinion, that's just trying to receive more money for a repetitive game.  We can all agree that "C.O.D." games are more and more the same with each release, so why is the DLC priced at a higher amount now (15$ now from the old 10$ / 1,200 XBL Microsoft Points now from the old 800 XBL Microsoft Points)?  The answer, "Because they are giving us more maps!" does NOT satisfy me; why is it that we HAVE to purchase every single map for a higher price?  Why not just have each available (Multiplayer maps and Zombie maps sold individually) map/mode priced a bit higher (400 points)?  This way if I only feel like playing Zombies I can just purchase the new "Moon" map for 400 XBL Microsoft Points (1200/5 maps is normally 240 a map, so a 160 point increase).  Sounds reasonable doesn't it?  Because before when I bought a 1,600 card, i would be able to pay for the next two map packs with one purchase!  That was GREAT! Now, I'm being forced to buy two cards if i want a name change and a map pack, or the next two map packs, or...even two name changes one after the other..  *Not Trolling, Serious Critics Only*

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I would welcome being able to purchase one map at a time. I also like what THQ did with Homefront and give a preview of the new maps, that way if I dont like the maps I wont feel jipped out of my money. As far as the pricing goes I believe the pricing was set when MW2 map packs were released.

It's just greed!  Treyarch specifically pisses me off to no end; they a:) don't care about the community's opinions and b:) just want our money.

They cost more now because the community has proven, that without a doubt, people will pay more. Paying by the map will never happen because IW/3Arch/Asstiviosn would likely make less money when people only buy the best 1-2 maps per pack.

-

Hardened Edition for MW3 will be burying them in cash because even though it seems like a great deal- $50 Elite subscription, all that Elite includes, and free $60 in DLC for an additional $40 (and it appears to be a good deal)- it's all about getting people to pay for all the content before we even play it and decide if we're going to like it or not.

-

If pay-by-the-map ever happens, the individual maps will have an inflated price compared to the full package offer (which they'll likely have). Look at Crimson Alliance: 800 MSP per character or 1200 for all 3. They'll be satisfied if you buy all 3 together for $15 USD but they really want you to buy one for $10 and then decide you actually want another character for another $10 (20 total).

-

TL;DR: It's a clever way to make more money.

TL;Still DR: $

[quote user="Lagapalooza"]

It's just greed!  Treyarch specifically pisses me off to no end; they a:) don't care about the community's opinions and b:) just want our money.

[/quote]

...no. Treyarch listens to their community more than (I would argue) any other FPS developer today. You're thinking of activision, in which case I would agree with you, but the same applies to EA, THQ, etc.

MW3 ELITE will be around $100

It really comes down to a simple concept.  If it's too much money for something you feel isn't worth it, don't buy it.  It shouldn't even be that tough of a decision.  But don't just go complaining about how it's too expensive, because the only thing that you're really saying is "I really want to buy these new maps but I wish they were cheaper".  When the marketplaces set the price (XBL and PSN), the goal isn't to get everyone to buy it!  They want to make the largest profit out of it.  That's not greed, that's incentive.  Incentive for the developers to work on the game post-release and incentive for competitors to work harder.  At the end of the day you'll get a better product whether you end up buying the DLC or not.

Paying by the map and demos of upcoming map packs is certainly possible.  But it's not going to happen just because they are feeling nice.  It will happen because they figure that they can receive more money by doing so.  How is this possible?  Competition.  If developer A shows that they will let you buy each map separately or demo upcoming DLC, then chances are their products will receive more buyers.  Then developer B will have to consider their plan with DLC, whether they'd be better off following suit or just keeping things the way they are.

But really, what's wrong with them trying to get the most out of their work?  Would you sacrifice part of your success for the sake of being nice?  Would you be okay if your boss told you that you were getting a major pay cut because they decided to start giving away some of their products?

Modern Warfare 2's maps were 1200 points, not 800.

If you think the price of the maps is too high you'll probably have a heart attack if you see how much Epic are charging for weapon skins for Gears 3. 

You know what would of been nice if they gave the last dlc for blops free for hardened of course but if you had bought all 3 dlc's you'd get 4 as a bonus for free or half price at least

[View:http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2120/boringo.th.jpg]

Dude, if you don't like it, don't buy it. It's as simple as that.