Outdated gameplay & controls

I'm wondering, am I the only one who struggles at least a little with RE4's outdated gameplay mechanics and controls? What I mean is that by now most of us are used to FPS-style controls in 3rd-person shooters, i.e. move forwards/backwards and strafe with left thumbstick and look around with the right one. And then there is the "d-pad feel" to the controls, i.e. it doesn't matter how much you push the left thumbstick in any direction(s), you will always move forwards/backwards and turn at the same speed like if you were using the d-pad. This totally defeats the purpose of controlling your character with an analog thumbstick.

-

On the same note, many of RE4's - and also RE5's - game mechanics are outdated to the point of being bothersome. First and foremost the inability to move while aiming/shooting. I know this stems from the controls of the old RE games where you didn't have thumbsticks but only the d-pad. So moving wasn't possible since you needed the d-pad to aim. And many run-of-the-mill opponents were slow enough for that to work. All fine and dandy so far.

-

But RE4 was originally released for the GameCube, and the GC's controller has two thumbsticks. It was later ported to the PS3 and its controller also has two thumbsticks. So why did Capcom keep using the controls of the previous games? That question is even more important since gameplay is quicker now and most of the opponents also move way faster than they did in the older games.

-

Not being able to move while aiming/shooting is bad enough already, so I really don't understand why your - or rather Leon's - aim is so inaccurate even while standing still. The laser pointer wanders around and drifts off quite a lot, making it hard to hit small targets (blue medallions, heads of opponents) at anything but close range. And at least I want to take out at least some opponents before they are that close.

-

To be honest, I really thought that at least RE5 should have used more modern controls and omit those old and outdated mechanics, but it didn't. Now I'm wondering how RE:ORC will play. If it uses the same controls and mechanics like RE4/5, I'm really going to think long and hard whether or not to buy that game. I'd love to play it since I love the RE universe and the stories in it, but the outdated and often cumbersome controls and gameplay mechanics are really putting me off.

-

Edit: And why is this forum incapable of displaying paragraphs properly?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 22 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This is exactly how it was when it was released so yea its outdated but it is really easy to adapt to it. Once I got used to aiming with my left thumb it was no problem. For anyone who dislikes the controls for RE5 they will hate RE4 but if you can get used to it, it's a great game.

Oh, trust me - I am used to the game's controls. It's not that I'm having any troubles with them, but I think it's time Capcom acknowledged that we're more than a decade into the 21st century already and modernized the controls. Treating analog thumbsticks as if they were digital direction pads, for example, really isn't up-to-date anymore.

The controls are fine for a survival horror game.  Meaning,  not only being a throwback to older games, I think the intent is to draw out the suspense.

And probably more realistic in that you need to remain still to have any kind of accuracy while you aim.  And the heft of any gun is going to cause aim to wander and drift a tad.   Especially at distance.

Being a zombie game, sure "realism" is a silly thing to bring into the argument.  But now that I think about it, even most FPS's require you to stop and aim dow the sights for greatest accuracy.  Its why after playing L4D and L4D2, and then playing black ops I sometimes get schooled.  I actually have to hit the target again, and not get it in the ballpark area of the zombie.  Ever notice that?  lol

How bad would RE be if you had one button auto-lock for example.  There would be no challenge or suspense.

If I were going to complain about RE 4 and RE 5, I'd complain about what were once zombies shooting crossbows and throwing dynamite.  Though I enjoy the games, it does make them a little like any other run of the mill shooter.

Though, I'll agree the controls and gameplay in RE 5 make multiplayer, well, I tried it once and haven't even wanted to attempt it again, if there is anyone still playing RE5 MP

[quote user="AcadiaPaul"]

Though, I'll agree the controls and gameplay in RE 5 make multiplayer, well, I tried it once and haven't even wanted to attempt it again, if there is anyone still playing RE5 MP

[/quote]

That's the reason I didn't even bother to download the multiplayer part of RE5. I mean, I would have loved to play RE online with/against other people, but not with those controls.

I'm glad Capcom didn't change the controls for Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City plays more like a modern day shooter, so who knows, maybe Capcom will head in that direction for Resident Evil 6.

I think what they could've done is to allow the option of simply switching between the left & right thumbstick controls... That wouldn't have changed anything game-wise, but just made the controls a lot less annoying. When you're used to aiming with the right stick in each and every game, it's just unnecessary frustration to have to learn to do it differently for one game.

-

...And as far as programming & game development goes, adding that controller setup to the option list hardly could've taken any significant amount of time. To me it just seems like a question of the developers not giving a f***.

Not only that, but Leon sure as heck does love to flinch whenever he aims.

Yeah seriously, I don't remember Leon being so freaking nervous on the GC and Wii versions, they must have done something to this version. Its just ridiculous how bad his aim is sometimes and it is especially annoying in the Shooting Gallery. Makes me want to slap him and tell him to calm down.

Considering that Leon is a former police officer and most likely spent his time using guns rather frequently in the time between RE:Nemesis and RE4, it's really surprising how much his aim sucks. The target laser wanders all over the place.

Anyway, what kinda annoys me about RE4 and RE5 is that when Capcom changed to the over-the-shoulder view, they should have updated the controls accordingly. Instead they are pretty much identical to the controls of older RE games. The only real changes are that you can now pull out your knife whenever you want/need to, have to aim manually instead of just holding a shoulder button to target the nearest enemy, and the quick-time events (kick, suplex, dodge, etc.); considering Jill's ability to dodge in RE:Nemesis, though, these QTE aren't that new or original.

These old controls simply aren't suited to the way RE 4 and 5 play. Your opponents move faster, are more agile, can use ladders, and some can even fly, many have ranged attacks, they often appear in large groups, act smarter, and can side-step or crouch. All that is actually good, but I want controls that are suited to these changes. I mean, when my opponents can do side-steps, for example, why can't Leon, Chris, or Sheva?