Original Xbox Titles not working

So, I've recently bought a new 4GB HDD Xbox 360 Slim console to replace my old Elite Xbox and ran across this issue after buying a 320GB HDD, I have a digital copy of Halo: Combat Evolved on my account but every time I want to play it it gives me the following message:

"Game Error - The game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again."

This also happened to me when my friend borrowed me his copy of Halo 2, except it said it couldn't be played, we tried another Halo 2 copy and it did not work and I am wondering why is this? I mean, I can play other games just fine, like the two I just bought the other day though games on demand: Crysis and Mass Effect, as well as Minecraft and DLC for other games, so why not Original Xbox titles like Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2?

Thanks in advance.

-o 055 o

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Is the HDD you bought an official Microsoft HDD?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Please 055 check in your storage device and see if the game you downloaded is there or if it is a corrupted file. If it's corrupted, please redownload it.

Also, please try the steps in the FAQ below:

forums.xbox.com/.../30862.aspx

If the problem persist, please clear your system Cache:

To do that you press your guide button (The big button in the middle) and you want to scroll to the very right and choose, 'System Settings' then click on 'Storage', over your Hard drive and press Y, you then want to choose 'Clear System Cache'.

Sorry this didn't help.

Eh, why would streaming media like music help me with my problem?

Also, I got the HDD from a trusted place which I've gotten many Xbox related stuff (my two Xbox consoles, several games and accessories) and so far everything has been official, so I don't see why it wouldn't be official as well. Besides, if it wasn't official, it wouldn't allow me to play other downloaded games, like games on demand and the likes, right?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, as stated earlier, if the problem persists, delete your current copy, clear you system cache, go to your Xbox LIVE Download History located under your Account page here: live.xbox.com/.../Account. Your System Cache can be cleared by going to the Memory Section of the System Settings, highlighting your current Hard Drive, pressing Y on your controller, and selecting 'Perform System Maintenance'

Sorry this didn't help.

Alright, I did that, re-downloading my game but I am still baffled by this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi  o 055 o,

-

It does indeed seem that your hard drive may not be an official hard drive. Does the hard drive casing have the word Microsoft embossed into it?

-

You will not have issues playing Xbox 360 games or content on an unofficial hard drive, the genuine hard drives have some special files/emulation software that are required to play Xbox original games, these files are not present on third party drives, they cannot be added either.

If it is indeed the case that your drive is not a genuine Microsoft hard drive then you have two options here, buy an official hard drive or resign yourself to the fact that you just can't play Xbox original games.

-

You may want to check out the following link regarding issues playing original Xbox games.

-

forums.xbox.com/.../25.aspx

Bananas !!

Sorry this didn't help.