Original xbox Gamertags RESET?!

what happened about the original xbox gamertags purge that major nelson spoke about? is it still going on?

for those who dont know what it is, old gamertags that havnt been used since the original xbox and seem "dead" where being reset so new people could get them...

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 26 Applies to:

Seems they stopped doing it for some unknown reason. My best guess would be because people were just taking old GT's and then selling them, and that was not the intent.

that is sad if that is true :(

Like Judge said, I heard that someone was selling them.  Maybe a rumor, I don't know.

There was never really any official word on it after they announced they were starting it. So it's hard to tell what exactly happened.

[quote user="Guns and Horses"]

that is sad if that is true :(

[/quote]

You can look through the Account Suspension Forums now and then and find people who were doing just that. A lot of 'good" older GT's got wasted that way and it once again shows, let the interweebs have their way and they will exploit it for personal profit.

Too bad there's so many people that simply don't get "it".

It only takes a few to spoil it for the rest of us.

What's the problem with people selling their old gamertags? If someone is willing to pay, what's the issue? People do it with websites all the time. I don't get it.

Sounds like Capitalism. America is capitalism. You don't hate America?...... do you?

[quote user="Juckethead"]

What's the problem with people selling their old gamertags? If someone is willing to pay, what's the issue? People do it with websites all the time. I don't get it.

Sounds like Capitalism. America is capitalism. You don't hate America?...... do you?

[/quote]

Setting up a gamertag should be free and need to remain so. Otherwise a lot of people can take up gamertags and then charge high prices for them. Wouldn't be fair would it now?

Websites are different. Microsoft owns the gamertag system on Xbox LIVE and they can do whatever they want to do.

[/quote]

Because it is against the rules to make any sort of profit off of anything that has to do with the Xbox Live service. You agreed to this when you accepted the Terms of Use and Code of Conduct.

[/quote]

They're selling stolen property, it's borrow something from someone and sell it to someone else as you do not own the Gamertag and it's content, just the rights to use it