Original 360 Disc Unreadable With New Twist.

My original 360 plays most games fine(freezes on a few but that's a different post altogether) however when it comes to Halo: Reach my Xbox makes me want to elbow drop someone. The first 3 levels play fantastically as do some Multiplayer maps but after that I get a game error saying that the disc is unreadable. To be fair, I left it out and my cat scratched it. So I went out and bought a new copy. Same error. Understandable I'm both outraged and confused. I cleared the cache, have no attachments on it except for A/V and power cables, and even tried to play without the HDD hoping it would solve my problem. No such luck. It only does this with Reach, and most other games play fine(Even Skyrim, Mass Effect [1,2,3], Oblivion, Other FPS, Netflix, Youtube, ect.). I have no idea how to go about fixing this since it only affects the later Campaign levels and the error shows up sporadically on MP. I would love a new 360, but it's out of my budget for now and repair is a no go as I'm out of warranty anyway and the Xbox is my only entertainment portal.

To recap:

Game read error on some levels of Halo: Reach only.

New disc, same error.

No other games affected by error.

Owner/Operator at wits end.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Update

All Campaign missions not working but Multiplayer still works occasionally.

New and original game disc giving same errors.

Noted that both discs have an error in the animation showing the Asteroid field surrounding Reach in the sequence that happens when you first insert the game disc. A spot where the video does not render properly.

Original game disc has a scratch running around the outside of the disc but the new one is free of any scratches. Still the only game giving me problems.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Deman! This certainly sounds like an odd issue. It looks like you've tried some solid steps with no success. What is the exact disc read error you receive? Also - have you tried installing the game to the HDD? Let us know! :)

Sorry this didn't help.

The exact disc read error is

"Game Error

This Dic is unreadable.

1. Clean the disc with a soft cloth.

2. Restart the console.

For more help, visit

www.xbox.com/support."

I installed the game and after that point it would launch to a green screen and then return me to the above error message. It never launched the game just went green and then error. I deleted the install and it would launch again, but still had the same error once I tried to launch a level.

Additional information. Xbox is an original 20GB model from 2006, though it red ringed sometime in 07-08. I sent it in and received a refurbished model in return though HDD is original. Like I stated earlier, some games will freeze on me occasionally but a restart fixes that so I am chalking that up to old equipment paired with new games. I am fairly positive that the two issues are not related in any way. I don't have a huge base for that assumption, but the games that freeze aren't usually big name titles but smaller releases that may have had enough time to be refined for a generations of 'box. For example; Skyrim and MW3 run without so much as a tic. Titles that will freeze on me occasionally are Star Wars The Force Unleashed(II not I) and Spider-Man: Edge of Time. The fact that most titles run smoothly and the fact that they do not give me an error message at all lead me to believe that the two issues are unrelated.

So far the only game that it flat out prevents me from playing is Halo: Reach. It started after my cats scratched my original disc a few months after release. It played perfectly up to that point, but even with a new disc it gives me the same error, which points to the Xbox rather than the disc. I would almost think it is a HDD error with my Reach file, like it was corrupted somehow by the disc, but it gives me the error sans HDD.

Sorry this didn't help.

In an effort to rule out anything software related in my problem, I moved both the save game data and gamer profiles off my HDD. I moved the game data first thinking that if there were corrupted bits contained it might solve the problem, and the profile after realizing that it caches my progress and that also might be a factor. After removing both to the relative safety of portable storage I disconnected from live and once again cleared the cache. No such luck. Game freezes during the opening cinematic(The first level's cinematic, not the Microsoft/Bungie/Xbox cinematic I mentioned earlier as having a glitch.) so I cannot reproduce the game disc error.

Sadly I'm beginning to suspect that my Xbox has a flaw buried somewhere that only the old tried and true method of replacing hardware pieces one by one and testing in between will fix.

I am open to suggestions since I have neither the resources nor the desire to try such a thing.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, that certainly sounds like you did some great troubleshooting steps! Just to be clear, when you moved the save game data and profiles, you moved them to a USB Flash Drive, then removed that drive from the console, correct? Did you have any files pertaining to Halo Reach on your console at that point? Have you tried redownloading your profile at all? I re-read the post, but unfortunately cannot see any direct reference to redownloading the profile. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes. I took the flash drive out. I did not do a recovery of my profile if that's what you mean. I'll try that today.

Sorry this didn't help.

Let us know those results and we'll go from there! :)

Sorry this didn't help.