open tray

can any1 tell me what to do if the open tray problem ever happens

Discussion Info

Last updated September 17, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

If it ever happens? You may need to replace the console. Warranty doesn't cover disc drive failures.

What causes this problem? I am constantly getting this problem many times with every xbox.  3 or 4 had to be discarded cause they would not work even after trying like 40 times to read a disk. I recently got it again after only 5 months of having a new one. Now I am putting a cloth over the top vents when its not in use so that dust does not get in it and hopefully that will prevent further problems.

Why do people keep buying an Xbox if it breaks this much?  I've heard of people goign through 5+ 360's and wondering why they keep buying it.

I might replace it once if it breaks.

open tray error is a laser power problem,its not really a dust issue unless you have it in a very dusty area and its clogging the lens.you could try a dvd lens cleaner if you are convinced its dust but as daft as it sounds some people will say using a disc cleaner violates your warranty,so its at your own risk

People keep buying them because they have money, or warranty coverage. I've gone threw 5 since launch and I don't mind because I've gotten them replaced for free. Can't complain there. I would continue this because I love my games.

zzzzif you do not have a magic card on you. Then it a great time for geting the slim. But that my take. And not the words of MS.

Why do we keep buying it? It's because we like the 360 as a whole, compared to what's out there.

I'm on my 3rd 360 with disc error being the main problem for myself, and it's a bit of pain they won't cover it like they did the RROD. I absolutely prefer the 360, but I might just spend the rest of this gen leaning on PS3 purchases with the odd 360 game since my 360 is having trouble reading discs again.

As for what causes open tray, it varies. It can easily be the laser on all models of disc drives, or it can be something specific. Older hitachis used to have dust and whatever collect on the spindle which prevented the disc from spinning. My current one is a BenQ, and that one tends to have that metal worm shaft collect stuff which prevents the laser tray from moving.

Welcome to the Project

[quote user="Misaki Ki"]

Why do we keep buying it? It's because we like the 360 as a whole, compared to what's out there.

I'm on my 3rd 360 with disc error being the main problem for myself, and it's a bit of pain they won't cover it like they did the RROD. I absolutely prefer the 360, but I might just spend the rest of this gen leaning on PS3 purchases with the odd 360 game since my 360 is having trouble reading discs again.

As for what causes open tray, it varies. It can easily be the laser on all models of disc drives, or it can be something specific. Older hitachis used to have dust and whatever collect on the spindle which prevented the disc from spinning. My current one is a BenQ, and that one tends to have that metal worm shaft collect stuff which prevents the laser tray from moving.

[/quote]

If you have a oringal XBOX 360. And this happen afther the media disk update. You can get free 250GB XBOX 360 S on the houes. But I do not know if you have one or not.