Open tray error

Hi everytime I turn on my console I have to struggle with my xbox telling me that I don't have a disk in the tray when I do. the quick fix is to take my disk out, let it read an empty tray then re instert my disk and then it will read my disk. However this is NOT the way a console should behave. That being my xbox's problem I have another problem. I have owned an xbox for 3 years. My first xbox red ringed so I sent it to repair and was sent back a different "fixed" unit which then promptly broke 7 months later because it wouldn't read bungie games. I was then informed that my warranty had expired and that I would have to send my xbox in or $100. I decided that the release day of Halo: ODST was not a good time to not play games for a month, so I went out and purchased an arcade unit and kept my hard drive. Now, a year and a half later, I am again out of warranty and my disk tray has stopped reading disks without me wrestling with it. I called customer support where I was again informed that I would have to pay $100 to have it sent in. Now MY problem is that I have spent $600 on  my xbox 360 console alone. I see this as a major flaw seeing as the xbox originally cost less money than I have put into it. normally in this situation I would simply stop buying a faulty product but I have invested over $2000 into the accessories and games on the xbox 360. In conclusion WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU MICROSOFT!!!. I am absolutely furious that after giving you over 3 years of loyalty your screwing me for the third time. I suppose that there is a certain grace in you offering other people free consoles when they have a problem with their disk tray (eg. your latest update problem) but when my disk tray takes a dump twice on two seperate consoles, I have to dish out additional money because of YOUR faulty product. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 65 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

instead of spending all that money, you should have bought yourself a better console other then the arcade, especially due to the fact that it was the most defective console.. i've had my elite for almost 3 years now, and its been working as good as day 1

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I had a 20GB pro initially, then it red ringed and microsoft sent a different xbox back (which might i add had quite a bit of wear on it). Then I upgraded to 120GB hard drive. Then my pro's disk drive took a crap. I was then forced to buy an arcade unit because I already had a hard drive and didn't want to spend any more uneccessary cash when I got my new arcade I made SURE it was a jasper unit. Now, just under a year and a half later, my xbox is taking another dump. No i couldn't have bought an elite right off the bat because when I got my xbox THE ELITE DIDN'T EXIST. Yes I have owned an xbox 360 for THAT long and if your going to assume that I was cutting corners I wasn't, I was trying to not spend thousands of dollars on hardware, cause if I wanted to do that, I'd play PC games

Sorry this didn't help.

my 360 was working pretty good before the update and after the update all i get is the open tray error =( hope they do another update to fix the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unikozo, that's exactly what my problem is too, but I called microsoft and they refuse to acknowledge that the problem has anything to do with the update so instead they want me to pay $100 for a repair when they were the ones that nerfed my console.

Sorry this didn't help.

If your issue coincided with the update, and you have not modified your console or had an unauthorized repair, then I suggest calling phone support about the issue at 800-4MY-XBOX.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have done absolutely nothing to my xbox,  I don't even move it with a disk in the tray (to friends houses and such). But xbox support is less than helpful because their protocol is turn it off and on, take out storage devices, clear cache and if that doesn't work check warranty status and tell me I need a repair, happens every time.

Sorry this didn't help.

Seems like there is a growing trend of "open tray" errors that Microsoft are refusing to acknowledge and are saying it's just a coincidence that the problem has occurred after this latest update. I refuse to pay Microsoft £75 for a repair when my console worked before the update.

and in reply to Mister Fitzer NO I  have not modified my console or had an unauthorised repair - my xbox is the replacement sent to me in April 2009 by yourselves after the last one suffered a RRoD failure, something else Microsoft failed to acknowledge at first!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote]Anybody experiencing such problems are urged to contact Microsoft Xbox support directly and inquire about getting a replacement Xbox 360 S with a 250GB hard drive for free. [/quote]

gaming.operationreality.org/.../xbox-360-disc-format-firmware-roll-out

That's some mighty fine non acknowledgement of the problem right there.

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft Xbox support  are refusing to acknowledge that the "open tray" issue is related to the update and unless you get the unique ‘disc unreadable’ or ‘disc unsupported’ error on the screen you're stuffed...

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote]To quote the issue as explained by Microsoft, “Following a recent update to our system software, we have become aware of an issue that is preventing a very small number of Xbox 360 owners from playing retail game discs. This issue manifests itself a as a unique ‘disc unreadable’ or ‘disc unsupported’ error on the screen. We are also able to detect this issue over Xbox Live and are proactively reaching out to customers that may be impacted to replace their console.” [/quote]

Fantastic denial right there.

Sorry this didn't help.