Only stereo TV sound coming through Xbox?

I don't actually have cable but I use my 360's as media center extenders.  I was trying it out just to see how it worked, everything seemed fine but the sound was stereo even though my receiver said 7.1 Uncompressed.  Is this all the Xbox One is capable of passing through?  Will this be something that's ever added?

Also, anyone know if Media Center will ever be added to the Xbox One? (that would be amazing...I'd never turn my XBone off.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Hey A FATAL ERROR, can you try going to Live TV settings, troubleshooting, then enable Surround Sound (Beta)?

Regarding Media Center, we don't have anything to announce currently regarding media center support.

PM on Groove Music, formerly worked on OneGuide, TV, and Game Streaming on Xbox One.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

oooo...I did not see that option.  Thanks!  I'll give it a shot.

Edit: I'm not sure you're an employee or ambassador but please pass this along if you can:  I own 5 Xbox 360's for gaming (of course) and media center!  We use it daily and it is out only tv source.  I want to use my Xbox One as my One entertainment device, so please add support for it!  

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm a Program Manager on the Live TV team.

We're definitely aware of the MCE enthusiasts (I have a quad tuner and HTPC running WMC at home), but we had to prioritize traditional STBs before we work on stuff for enthusiasts like us :)

What support is missing that you'd like added?

PM on Groove Music, formerly worked on OneGuide, TV, and Game Streaming on Xbox One.

Sorry this didn't help.

My main want is Media Center, we decided to drop cable long ago since we didn't use it enough to justify the fee.  We use our antenna to get our OTA HD stuff.  

Other than that, HBO GO (I know its coming soon).  I think Media Center was easily one of the best features on 360, even though not many used.  I knew it wouldn't be likely to see it on One.  If it gets added, I'll plug my Apple TV into the HDMI in assuming surround sound works and literally never turn off the Xbox!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, fight for us enthusiasts!  

Sorry this didn't help.

FWIW, we did test an Apple TV, and it should work OK, even if unsupported :)

Sorry this didn't help.