Only on Xbox Marketplace is Mass Effect still 20 dollars

I never understood... you don't have an actual physical copy, and when xbox 360 live goes under, quite possibly all the digital merchandise you purchased will be worthless, and these ancient games are still 20 bucks where I'd be able to get a physical copy for 5.  There are a lot of these sort of games that are vastly overpriced and though I'd consider purchasing them, Monopoly for 30 dollars is not reasonable at all.  I mean they sell all this stuff as if they're new copies, they're digital copies without a case or booklet, if it were anything it would just be a cd, and in the physical market, cd only means used, and prices should be cut.  Who would buy Bioshock for 20 dollars? seriously? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Typical Microsoft moneymaking strategy; they're probably taking a loss somewhere along the line with this Xbox Live fiasco, so it is reasonable business practice to try and make up the losses in a different area. It's the same thing for Sony, who are not exactly known for treating their customers like human beings either.

I wont buy the crap if they overprice it.  GameStop is making the money Xbox should be making if only they lowered their prices.  Convenience is nice, but not worth paying full price for a digital copy of an old game where the new physical copy itself is sold at 10 dollars, priced 20 in the marketplace.  Their moneymaking strategy sucks, because if lets say monopoly was 10 dollars, I'd purchase is, so would many others to just play a casual game with everyone online, like with Risk- Factions, which is only 800 MS points.  I recently parted with my Bioshock aswell and thought about purchasing it on the marketplace for convenience, but convenience doesn't make the game worth 20 bucks.  On my errands tomorrow I'd rather just swing by gamestop and get a physical copy for 5 bucks.

I remember these game companies trying to sue GameStop or something, letting them take portions of the profits they make from selling used games, uh uh, if I purchase a copy and decide to sell it to a friend and an executive from that game company comes up to me asking me for half my profit, I'm slapping him across the face and probably kicking him in the butt.

That's stealing, instead, they should be competitive.  Not complainers like Sears and Target were to Walmart, just make your prices competitive.

If anything, I find that the overpricing of digital copies of merchandise is more or less one of many incentives for me to steer far away from this "digital license" nonsense, which amounts to giving Microsoft a killswitch so that they can cut off access whenever they deem it unnecessary to provide me with the rights to play this game anymore. Imagine purchasing a car with a chip on it that can deactivate the engine whenever the manufacturer decides you don't need that car anymore.

In other words, buying something on Xbox Live Marketplace is tantamount to "indefinitely renting" a title for upwards of twice or four times the market value for no good reason whatsoever.

Yea, but the money GameStop makes from used copies, game companies whine and complain and try to sue them for profit on those aswell.  So instead of being competitive, they instead whine and try to take someone else's money who has the right idea on how to market these games.

Just because GameStop -- as much as I hate them -- did something right, that does not give any of the game companies any right to sue them. You are absolutely correct. :)

It makes me honestly wonder if Microsoft's next-generation console is, as rumored, going to refuse to read used discs. And if so, I wonder how Microsoft honestly thinks they can get away with it.

Buying a platinum hits new copy is the same price is it as on Live! which is pretty uncommon. So you're saying any retailer that has a new copy of Mass Effect is trying to rip you off or just trying to complain.

-

If they undercut retail then it wouldn't take more than a couple major retailers to stop carrying titles to really put a dent in sales. Not sure what the problem is. Only thing is buying a game with an account from Live! is it removes first use so you can't resell it like you would a physical copy at least in the USA that is how the law works. Also Live! can go down and you can still play the games since the licenses are stored on the console. I really doubt the next gen will lock out used game sales since a big reason people trade in games is to buy new ones at full MSRP.

[quote user="Smiling Cat"]Buying a platinum hits new copy is the same price is it as on Live![/quote]I was just going to say that. For once it is actually the same price.

It's MSRP price. There is nothing wrong with the price and as far as Mass Effect is concerned, it's extremely accurate. You wont find it much cheaper.

The price of convenience.

[quote user="Diegoheavens"]

I never understood... you don't have an actual physical copy, and when xbox 360 live goes under, quite possibly all the digital merchandise you purchased will be worthless, and these ancient games are still 20 bucks where I'd be able to get a physical copy for 5.  There are a lot of these sort of games that are vastly overpriced and though I'd consider purchasing them, Monopoly for 30 dollars is not reasonable at all.  I mean they sell all this stuff as if they're new copies, they're digital copies without a case or booklet, if it were anything it would just be a cd, and in the physical market, cd only means used, and prices should be cut.  Who would buy Bioshock for 20 dollars? seriously? 

[/quote]

I agree, a lot of the prices are inflated beyond what they would cost at retail, but buying digital does have its advantages. The best one being the state of the game itself. When you buy a game over the marketplace you obviously know it will work. It won't have (or develop) scratches, damage, etc. etc. And you always have the option of redownloading the game, if you delete it, or buy a new console. So, unless Live goes under, as you say, you'll always have the game, and in prefect condition.