ONLINE ACHIEVEMENTS!?

i dont agree that multiplayer achievements are bad to be honest, i think most (NOT ALL lol) people that say that just dont like or arnt good at it and still want all the achievements on the game, i think if they are balanced properly then they are good, for example get 10,000 knife kills while spinning backwards and telling everyone else in the lobby they suck = bad achievement, get 20 kills with each weapon = good achievement, because like all achievements it should encourage you to play all the game even bits you perhaps wouldnt normally  

not every achievement online has to ruin the game and if done properly they dont (by ruin i mean cause people to play in such a way that it effects the result of the game just for personal achievements), its good to reward people with achievements not just rank in that particular game, and for people that dont want to play online just to get the achievement.. well then you dont get the achievement. people like to play different ways some like single player some like multiplayer and some like both, so i think achievements should reflect that.

discuss :D

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="Guns and Horses"]

i dont agree that multiplayer achievements are bad to be honest, i think most (NOT ALL lol) people that say that just dont like or arnt good at it and still want all the achievements on the game,i think if they are balanced properly then they are good, for example get 10,000 knife kills while spinning backwards and telling everyone else in the lobby they suck = bad achievement, get 20 kills with each weapon = good achievement, because like all achievements it should encourage you to play all the game even bits you perhaps wouldnt normally  

not every achievement online has to ruin the game and if done properly they dont (by ruin i mean cause people to play in such a way that it effects the result of the game just for personal achievements), its good to reward people with achievements not just rank in that particular game, and for people that dont want to play online just to get the achievement.. well then you dont get the achievement. people like to play different ways some like single player some like multiplayer and some like both, so i think achievements should reflect that.

discuss :D

[/quote]

And this is why completionists like myself resort to boosting most online achievements.  Lets just say, I'm an old school console gamer, who still believes that the single player campaign is ALWAYS the main game.  MP is just icing on the cake.  Funny thing is, I always play the multiplayer in every game I own as well.  After I get done boosting for the online achievements with my boys that is.  And to top it off, I wouldn't boost so much if I didn't have a huge backlog of games to play.  The only purpose of boosting really, is to get your achievements faster.  I have absolutely no shame it it, because I know if I had the time to invest, I could get them legit anyhow.

On a different note,  I'm sorry but boosters do inadvertently *** up the leaderboards as well, but that's not my problem.  As far as anyone who boosts for leaderboards go.. well, that's just beyond pathetic.  If you ask me, we would all be better off with no online achievements.  Any gamer who loves their games will play their game's multiplayer regardless if there are achievements or not.  Just look at Infinity Ward's Cods for proof.  Personally I'm sick and tired of having to rely on others to get my mp cheeves.

Another alternatives is to stick to offline achievements only game if you are worry about completion ratio.

My only issue with online is that now with a young toddler in the house and as the sole income for our family my time to play is limited.   I love to play but its hard to link up online with friends when most live 2 or 3 timezones away and I am logging on when they are already asleep. I enjoy online play and co-op but notice that lately the stuff I have been playing contains mostly nobody with mike's trying to play together which makes it kind of boring IMO. Those factors kind of spoil online acheivements for me since it just doesnt work out now.   I would prefer a 75/25 ratio (ingame vs online) then I wouldnt feel like I am missing as much.

[quote user="Tatakai no Kami"]

[quote user="UnyoBro"]

If you really cared about accomplishment then you'd actually "achieve" those achievements instead of farming for them.

If a game is dead then you don't get the achievements. You know why? Because you can't earn them. You act like you have to get them or you're entitled to them, that's ridiculous. Your inflated sense of entitlement is scary.

[/quote]

You know I respect you UnyoBro, which is why I almost never post in opposition to you, but I do have to point out one thing here. When we buy the game, the achievements are part and parcel of the game, So from my point of view, we are entitled to unlock all the achievements the game contains.

[/quote]

I appreciate the compliment but just because you respect me doesn't mean you should hold back if you think I'm wrong.

I get that the game is yours when you buy it. I don't care if someone wants to spend all their free time boosting with the game they bought. I just don't like people nonchalantly dismissing it like it's legit. Boosting/farming is not fair play and it's cheating. It may be very minor and not generally harming anyone directly but it's still unsportsmanlike. So far the only arguments for it are "I own the game and can do whatever I want" and "I'm a completionist and cannot control my OCD." Those are not good enough to make this practice as legit as normal gameplay.

Don't like them at all, developers need to be more respectful to consumers who don't/can't play online... we buy your games to you know. I love achievements, but I don't agree with them being restricted to online players... keeping the rest of us from obtaining them. I actually wrote a post about it here:

forums.xbox.com/.../32761.aspx

[quote user="UnyoBro"]

If you really cared about accomplishment then you'd actually "achieve" those achievements instead of farming for them.

If a game is dead then you don't get the achievements. You know why? Because you can't earn them. You act like you have to get them or you're entitled to them, that's ridiculous. Your inflated sense of entitlement is scary.

[/quote]

You know I respect you UnyoBro, which is why I almost never post in opposition to you, but I do have to point out one thing here. When we buy the game, the achievements are part and parcel of the game, So from my point of view, we are entitled to unlock all the achievements the game contains.

I don't mind grind achievements, as long as they aren't rediculous like "Wanted" (GTA IV) (took me 2 years to get grinding over time), "Seriously" (Gears of War) (4 months of nonstop play), and "Veteran Gear" (Gears of War 2) (played longer than Gears 1, reset my rank,  then boosted in KOTH on a 30X XP day). I'm actually on the brink of whether I should buy Angry Birds for my Windows Phone since for one I have to add a credit card which I don't want to do and two there is an achievement to destroy 250,000 blocks which X360A says will take 40+ hours. I don't want to spend 40+ hours on my phone destroying blocks.

I absolutely hate luck achievements. Such as the one of from Gears of War that required you to win 20 rounds by only 5 points or less in Annex. After I got "This is Annex" which requires a minimum 300 rounds to be completed, I only had 2 rounds like that because it required me and my friends/teammates to play lesser than our abilities. Or the most recent one, "Compulsive Liar" for RDR, sure there is a set of skill required, but a lot a lot of luck, plus it requires that no one quits from the session, everyone quits when they are out. I could go on and on about these achievements. The one in Halo 3 and in Halo Reach requiring a double kill from the grave, again luck, requiring two players to be close enough to each other and pretty much the only way to get it is with a grenade. Nothing angered me more than the Halo 3 DLC achievement for a perfection, I would have gotten it naturally if it wasn't for the fact I was betrayed.

In the end, grinding achievements leave OCD completionists like me doing the same crap over longer than we'd want, I listen to podcasts usually without the game sound or chat though in order to do it without going crazy. Thats what I did for "Wanted", "Bladder of Steel", "Veteran Gear", etc. And luck achievements are the worst because in the end, if the luck never occurs, it leaves completionists like me needing to boost in order to get it.

In the end, grinding isn't an achievement it's an annoyance, and luck is never an achievement, it's freaking luck! Keep those out of a game, and I'll enjoy the achievements. I don't care about difficulty, just luck. I have games I'll never get achievements in because it is too hard, I don't care, I tried and just don't have the skill, but at least there is no grinding or luck involved.

[quote user="ThriLL KapsuLE"]

I agree with DigiLuigi who agrees with Epic Louie who also agreed with SatNiteEduardo who kind of agreed with Guns and Horses who pretty much had a neutral tonal quality to his post in regards to his original post but I digress.

[/quote]

I disagree

Nah in my opinion, if the online is dead, then there is no problem with boosting. You're not doing wrong by anyone, so I don't see the harm

I agree with DigiLuigi who agrees with Epic Louie who also agreed with SatNiteEduardo who kind of agreed with Guns and Horses who pretty much had a neutral tonal quality to his post in regards to his original post but I digress.

I agree with Epic Louie regarding entitlement to achievements. I attempt to get achievements legt if possible but if online is dead then I arrange a boosting session. Sometimes those boosting sessions are semi legit anyway...otherwise it gets boring.