Old World Blues is kinda rough

I started OWB over the weekend. I've found that enemies seem a lot tougher. Unlike most humans, the lobotomites don't fall from a well-placed brush gun shot despite having basically no armor, while the Mr. Gutsy bots and the robo-scorpions can shrug off the gauss rifle, the pulse gun, and Anabelle's missiles--things that traditionally kill in one or two hits. Is this the product of some weird level-skewing? Are there weaknesses I should be exploiting? Will I eventually get companions or anything else that evens the odds? I'm 30th-level now, so it's not just a matter of waiting 'til I'm higher level.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 16 Applies to:

All the DLCs have been for higher level characters,  Old World Blues is arguably one of the tougher ones (Not tried Lonesome Road yet).  For melee/HtH combat I suggest Piercing Strike & both ranks of Toughness. For ranged depending on if your're going for slug throwers or Energy Weapons I'd suggest AP rounds or Hollow Point for the former, or if you've got a fair amount of missiles Annabelle. Next time I go in I'm gonna see if i can bring at least 1 of my companions, it'll definitely ease things some if I can. Oh & definitely the Jury Rig perk, it's probably the best one in the whole game. 

[quote user="steveg99"]

Most of that stuff you guys are talking about, I don't know about yet, as I haven't read any spoilers. It's good to know there's loot to make it worthwhile.

I learned that the lobotomites limbs are their weak point. Running out of 45-70 ammo for the brush gun though, and in fact I haven't really found ANY rifle ammo (even the crazy-common .556 rounds). Guess they're really pushing energy weapons in this DLC.

Hadn't played Fallout in many months. Just now remembering that I can fast-travel from place-to-place within MT. Also, forgot about jumping lol.

[/quote]

I am pretty sure the LAER is given to you. There are a few laying around in the Big MT for you to find as well. If your not to far into OWB you may want to reload an older save and stock up on 45-70 ammo and repair some good power armor.

Most of that stuff you guys are talking about, I don't know about yet, as I haven't read any spoilers. It's good to know there's loot to make it worthwhile.

I learned that the lobotomites limbs are their weak point. Running out of 45-70 ammo for the brush gun though, and in fact I haven't really found ANY rifle ammo (even the crazy-common .556 rounds). Guess they're really pushing energy weapons in this DLC.

Hadn't played Fallout in many months. Just now remembering that I can fast-travel from place-to-place within MT. Also, forgot about jumping lol.

[quote user="DecafKingRat"]

Picking up Elijah's advanced LAER and then upgrading it will help...

[/quote]

This. Also I found the easiest way to defeat lobotomites was with the proton inversal axe, if your melee is good they wont be a problem

The YCS with Max Charge loads does a real good job. As Decaf said, upgrades do a good job also. Try to remember that Lobotomites have the same implants that you do from the Think Tank. They are very strong and resistant. The AMR with AP shots takes big Roboscorps out in 1 well place shot to the tail. Christines rifle takes 2 shots. There are several high purchases that you can get to where they cant reach you. The train car was one of them. Couple pipes over the canyon work well also. The LAER upgrades add quite a bit of punch. If you upgrade your stealth suit? remember to leave your MED-X at a minimum or she'll addict you. The auto-doc can fix it but you have to get back there while addicted. lol

The gun which is given to you by The Think Tank works just fine as long as you turn the e-cells into over-charged e-cells at a work bench. There are halo tapes around that you'll have to find to upgrade your weapon, so takes time finding it all. I mainly used COS Christine's Sniper Rifle and that projecto gun while crafting my own ammo at a work bench, helps a bit more, although many of the DLC enemies are tougher than most you encounter throughout the Mojave.

During  the X-8 quest you can actually have Roxie as a companion, just have to find the halo tape to splice a robot/dog together, then go from there. And/if Roxie does somehow dies, just go back and create another Roxie to help. Roxie will only be able to help you during your X-8 quest and will not leave the area there. Aside from that, there are no other companions that can help you out during your visit to The Big Empty.

Never bothered with robotics expert seeing how I saw that as a wasted perk slot and yes there are stealth boys in OWB just have to root around for 'em all.

According to the Fallout wiki, robo-scorpions are super-resistant to small arms fire, and resistant to pulse weapons. What it doesn't mention is how to fight them. Are there any stealth boys to find in OWB? I have Robotics Expert.

Picking up Elijah's advanced LAER and then upgrading it will help...