Official Hard Drive help please?!

Hi, could anybody please tell me if there's a surefire way to tell if the 250GB slim hard drive I bought from Amazon is an official one?

I ordered it before I went on holiday a few weeks ago, assuming it was brand new, but when I came home to it, it was unpackaged, just in bubble wrap, looking slightly used.

It has 'XBOX 360' written on the front side in official-looking writing, and on the reverse, it says 'Microsoft 360 S HARD DRIVE, Model 1451, and a white barcode with the number X854830-001, and 'Made in China.

The item description on amazon didn't specify, but the price, along with the fact that the item image was of a packaged official hard drive makes me hopeful.

Cheers

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 173 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I`d be interested in this knowing this too, I`ll be wanting a new hdd for the wifes 4gb 360 soon, Not sure if M$ would take it asa form of  system tampering even though amazon is on the is on the M$ page that likes to the 250 hard drive sellers

Did it state you were buying a new one, or a used? (maybe even reconditioned, if they do them?)

I cant see Amazon selling non official drives as official ones to be honest with you.  Maybe you should post in technical help.

[quote user="Spuudle"]

Did it state you were buying a new one, or a used? (maybe even reconditioned, if they do them?)

I cant see Amazon selling non official drives as official ones to be honest with you.  Maybe you should post in technical help.

[/quote]

No, but it can be individual sellers who sell things on Amazon.

Pretty sure it would b hard to fake a offical hdd......does ur xbox recognize it? And if so, it should have a little less than 250 gb on it......make sure all the data, if any user data is still on it is erased..... u should be fine after all that is done, the deleting.....

[quote user="SONIC SCREAM 07"]

[quote user="Spuudle"]

[/quote]

No, but it can be individual sellers who sell things on Amazon.

[/quote]

Didnt know that Sonic mate. Im not an Amazon Shopper really.

if it ends up being faulty or any case like that. you can contact amazon and tell them that the item you bought from them is misadvertised or whatever the case may be. hope this helps.

One good test is to see if you can play an original game that is compatible. If you can play it then 99% it is legit.

Hi, had the same problem as you, i bought  a 250gb hard drive on ebay, it has the Microsoft logo & barcode, not made in china though and it did make me wonder.... having looked into them it seem's there are a lot of "ghosted"  ones available and they wont play older games, as they haven't got the emulation software on the drive, can't say that i have tried an older game yet, but everything appears to be fine,   if you go into the consol settings for Memory and check when your drives installed, it should tell you that there is less than 250gb  i think roughly about 235gb due to the software etc also mine has the Microsoft logo shown in black on the screen for the drive bottom right, so i think it's real.

Hope that this helps

hi I have the same HD with the same number also did you face any problem with it?

Check & see, if there are any pry marks or damage on the HDD case or if it looks warped etc..