Oblivion

Skyrim is my first TES game.

I'm wondering if its worth it to download (if its even available) Oblivion.  How is it the same?  How is it different?  Will I be as wowed as I've been with Skyrim?  Is it as big of a game with multiple factions and settlements.  I'm also relatively new to RPG's (Fallout and Mass Effect turned me) and mostly new to the fantasy genre.  But the one's I've played, assuming there isn't turn based combat, I've really come to enjoy.

I guess I just want to know if I won't be hugely disappointed by taking a step back.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

From a general standpoint it plays out very similarly and it's about on the same scale as Skyrim, but there are quite a few major differences:

1. Leveling is completely different. While you do still level skills through use, your overall level is based only on 7 'major' skills that you select at the beginning of the game. The skills that you don't pick are 'minor' skills, and still function the same but don't contribute to your overall level.

2. In Oblivion instead of having the convenient standing stones you select a 'birthsign', also at the beginning of the game, that is similar in effect but cannot be changed once you have selected it.

3. The combat isn't hand-based; you cannot dual wield weapons and magic is set to a separate button and cannot be 'dual-cast'. Also, the body armor piece is separated as chestplates and greaves.

4. Smithing is nonexistant, and instead you have an Armorer skill that is used to repair your equipment (yes, your weapons and armor have conditions and CAN 'break' with use). Enchanting is present, but not as a skill, and there are a total of 2 altars that I can recall (one being only after completing most of the mages' guild questline and the other being part of a DLC location). Alchemy is in the game as a skill, but I'm not sure exactly how it works differently from the equivalent in Skyrim.

5. There are a few skills that didn't make the cut in Skyrim, including Hand to Hand, Acrobatics (which is pretty much jumping), Athletics (which governs running and swimming), and Mysticism (which is a magic skill).

All in all there are a number of things in it that were taken out for Skyrim with good reason, but it's still a terrific game nonetheless. I personally would argue that it's not quite as good of a game as Skyrim, but it did have a better storyline and a much more epic ending to the main questline.

Skyrim>Morrowind>Oblivion.  I felt Oblivion was too dumbed down

If you like mass effect i would also suggest Dragon Age Origins. It's made by the same people. I liked Oblivion and in my opinion it is really worth the twenty bucks. But I'd buy the game of the year edition since the main DLC is like 1200 microsoft points...

[quote user="Agrithscreator"]

If you like mass effect i would also suggest Dragon Age Origins. It's made by the same people. I liked Oblivion and in my opinion it is really worth the twenty bucks. But I'd buy the game of the year edition since the main DLC is like 1200 microsoft points...

[/quote]Dragon Age II would be a much better choice for Mass Effect fans; the original was atrocious on consoles. 

Elder scrolls 3 and 4 are worth your time and money although the graphics on IV are better and almost as good as skyrim.

Thanks, and I have looked into and considered Dragon Age as well, but never went ahead w/ it.  Maybe I'll give that one a try, too.

Welcome to the world of RPG's all other games suck except maybe a good shooter or something off the wall like a few rockstar games.

As a mage I loved Oblivion; it played to a mage character. I bought the DLC to get Frostcrag Spire, a mage's tower, and thought it was totally worth it.  Since you can enchant your clothes you can wear whatever you like and not have to worry about your armor breaking. If armor or weapons are enchanted you have to have a high armorer level or take them to one of the fighter's guild porters who all repair enchanted stuff. The thing from Oblivion/Morrowind I miss but understand why it went away is Chameleon. They thing I miss and don't understand why I can't have is Alteration - Open lock spells. The lockpick game is easier in Skyrim but I just ran into an adept lock in the middle of a quest and i can't finish it until I can open the lock (because i suck at picking pockets). I saved first but ran through all my lockpicks. In Oblivion, all I had to do was train up Alteration until I could open Hard/Very Hard locks.

I'm not sure if Knights of the Nine is part of the GOTY but it was fun and the trip through Sheogorath's realm is a real trip.

Someone earlier made the comment saying that you couldn't Dual Wield spells because combat wasn't hand based.

1) You can have a weapon and shield, or a two handed weapon, and STILL easily cast a spell, which is better than Skyrim's, it just doesn't look as 'magey'.

2) You can block as a Mage (WOOOO!!) which is nice and not suicidal. Also, lastly and most importantly... you can make your own spells. WOAH! Much cooler than a few spells in each school for Skyrim : (

________

All-in-all, try it. Rent it and see whether you like it, just be patient with it since it's earlier than both Fallout 3 and Skyrim, obviously.

Since FO3 was mentioned above, if you haven't already you should check it out as well.  It's not a medieval 'dungeons and dragons' theme like Skyrim, but still a great RPG. Probably my favorite actually.