Oblivion vs Skyrim graphics debate

Some pretty nice images of Oblivion (with graphics mods) on PC.

So how do you think Skyrim will stand up to this graphically? Personally I think this, a 6 year old game (albeit heavily modified), looks better than even Skyrim, though I can't wait to see what some people do with Skyrim when it's released.

Which do you think looks better? Graphically. Please disregard aliasing, it's purely down to image resizing and is smooth if you go to the source link for a larger resolution image.

Let's stick purely to a graphics debate. We all know gameplay is the more important part but that's not really what the topic is about.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

you can't compare a heavily modded game to a vanilla game. How would that be fair? Plus I don't think we've seen PC footage of Skyrim yet, have we?

[quote user="NigHTsNiPe xX"]

you can't compare a heavily modded game to a vanilla game. How would that be fair? Plus I don't think we've seen PC footage of Skyrim yet, have we?

[/quote]

We're comparing a heavily modded "6 year old" game to vanilla Skyrim. The fairness is in the age difference of the two.

Bethesda have had six years to refine their graphics. So, have the community done better than what Bethesda can manage? Because surely Bethesda should be able to surpass what their community have created for a six year old game?

Bethesda is limited to the limitations of consoles. PC mods are not, therefore there is no arguement to be had...

[quote user="NigHTsNiPe xX"]

Bethesda is limited to the limitations of consoles. PC mods are not, therefore there is no arguement to be had...

[/quote]

Yet the consoles limitations is also its strong point. Optimisation for a set piece of hardware over creating software for multiple configurations. Crysis 2 is a great example of that.

However, in 6 years Bethesda should still be able to pull off something better than what a community has created. The difference between vanilla Skyrim from what's been shown, and a 6 year old modded Oblivion isn't that great, which is the point.

That's some sexy screenshots. I thought they were from Skyrim at first, but when I saw the last one I realized it was Oblivion. Looking at that shot, I believe, in my opinion, Skyrim's graphics are better.

Skyrim. Mainly because Cyrodiil wasn't really that suave to begin with, but that's my biased opinion to my least favorite part of Tamriel. Also, that second picture made me bust up.

[quote user="Dadtime Stories"]

Also, that second picture made me bust one out!

[/quote]

Fixed! :p