Numerous Problems: Cable connection lost, no sound from TV, Voice activation doesn't work

I am having several problems. The biggest is that 50-75% of the time when I turn the Xbox on there is no sound on from actual TV. I hear the Xbox and the cursor, but no sound from the actual shows when I am trying to watch something. On Xbox Live support it says to disconnect the power and wait 30+ seconds so that it can release corrupted configuration data. When I reconnect and go through the entire devices setup process all over again I only get sound about 50% of the time. This is extremely frustrating, though thanks to the repetition, I've now memorized all of my devices and their model numbers. Games and anything directly Xbox related sound fine.

Another problem is everytime I turn on the Xbox it tells me it's lost my satellite or cable box connection/signal. I have a Comcast cable box (which ironically it still knows down to the model name) that is directly plugged in via HDMI. Again I have to go through the whole previous unplugging/resetting process to get it to work. Sometimes it doesn't.

Also is there a trick to the initial voice activation method of turning it on? I feel like an idiot saying "Xbox On" 10-20 times until it finally works or doesn't. Is it the phrasing? Timing? Loudness? I would really love to see an in depth tutorial / walkthrough on Xbox Live that details the ins and outs of how to really master the system.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

I am having the same issue with sound on live TV. Sound on apps (Netflix, YouTube, etc) and games is perfect but when I am watching live TV I have no sound at all. Tried power cycling the cable box but that did nothing to remedy the problem. Would love to try some suggested fixes if anybody has any.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You need a slight delay between 'xbox' and 'on'.  Worked for me most of the time. Once I walked by the room on my way to the kitchen...said, 'xbox  on', grabbed a snack, walked back to the room and sat on the couch. The Kinect recognized me and said 'Hi' and that just felt true next gen!

I had the same problem with sound and blank or frozen screen for TV. So far changing the power mode has worked for me.

Go to 'Settings' and then 'Power & Setting', change 'Power Mode' to 'Energy Savings'.

Bad thing is you won't be able to use voice command to turn the xbox on and it takes a lot longer to boot up...but until they figure out a patch then I'll run it this way. Feels like the typical, 'your computer is frozen so reboot and everything works again'

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable/dvr box that runs my live tv. The first night I used the XB1 I had the freezing screen/black screen issue so I searched this forum and found the following suggestions helped:

Settings:

1) TV & OneGuide settings; Power settings; leave all the choices unchecked for now.

Troubleshooting; leave Surround sound (BETA) unchecked for now.

2) DIsplay & sound; Digital Audio; HDMI audio; Stereo uncompressed for now

Optical audio; Stereo uncompressed for now

3) Power & startup; Turn Xbox off (if you're having the freezing/black screen issue)

Turn off after; Don't turn off automatically

Power Options; Power mode; Energy-saving for now.

4) Kinect; Troubleshooting; KInect doesn't hear me (I go into this if the Kinect has trouble hearing me with voice commands and start the audio check. If you have a receiver hooked up to the XB1 as I do I have the Optical audio set to DTS Digital Surround and you can hear the difference on your speakers while doing this test.)

In my opinion it's very much like Schisma is saying that the XB1 goes into a sleep/hibernation mode and can't connect with the live tv again when you want the XB1 to wake up when you try to make everything work. Whenever I've had the freeze/black screen issue I've gone to the Power & startup section and turned the XBox off completely. When it starts again I've seen the green Xbox screen just like the initial startup. So, I'm keeping the instant on off for now and keeping it in energy mode which kills a lot of the features, but also keeps my live tv on until MS can figure it out.

Sorry this didn't help.

*edit - some say that they're having a problem with their dvr when fast forwarding or rewinding and the suggested fix is to leave the Optical audio to Stereo uncompressed.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have only the lost TV sound problem and what nearly always fixes it is disconnecting HDMI from my cable box (Uverse) and reconnecting it. I've used 2 different HDMI cables trying to avoid the issue but it still starts up without TV sound about half the time. I think I'll switch to power saving mode since I never use voice activation to turn it on, anyway.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, Reiderator! I'm sorry to see that you are losing TV sound! Hopefully turning off power save mode helps you out. This thread is over a year old. If you need further assistance, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've completed. This way our community can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. :)

Sorry this didn't help.