nowadays gaming

So most of us older gamers had fun with NES and all those great days of fun. There was no online game play but still we all had fun correct? Games then cost about 29.00 for a new game. I understand that online gaming has brought gaming to another level but what are these gaming makers thinking....$59-$69 dollars a game on top of us having to pay for online service through xbox? I know some might say get lost if you dont like it....well paid up for another 2 years so not happening there. I just think its pretty stupid on there behalf of finding more and more ways to *** us out of the dollar. They make all these map packs that should have been included in the game already...shortening games so they can add those 10 dollar map packs and  if you dont buy brand new we need a access key to purchase so we can play with friends....I have got to say these is getting pretty far fetched and cant wait to see the next stupid idea they come up with. You dont have to agree with me just wanted to state what was on my mind. You can pay for a 40 dollar used game but still will cost you near new if you have to buy a freaking key to pay online for it that your paying xbox for online portion of there service for. Online gaming is turning into a nightmare and a headache at times. I see why alot of friends are leaving to go to computers and ps3.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Things have changed.

It costs a LOT of money to make games. A LOT. You could probably get a game made for a few thousand dollars back during the NES days. Now it costs a few million to make a game. It costs $40k alone just to make a patch for a game. It's expensive to make games and developers have to charge a reasonable amount($60) in order to make a profit.

No profit = no games to make.

On top of everything, used games equals no money for developers. Not a penny earned through used sales goes to the developer and that can hurt developers and can even shut them down(so many big named developers have been shut down the past few years because of their games not selling well largely due to the used games market) and in order to make some money off used games, developers are having to include online passes in order to make money and stay in business. Spend $5 more and buy the game new and online passes wouldn't exist.

Online gaming is simple to understand. It's not a nightmare at all. It's all about profit and developers can't make a profit unless they charge appropriate prices and installl online passes. Blame your fellow gamers and the rise in development costs for the price changes.

It's been a long time and I was a kid then but I don't remember NES games costing 30 bucks new. Either way the industry is different now, it's big business. Same goes for movies, aren't some movies 30 bucks on bluray?

Seriously? You can't figure out the answer to this on your own? You think it costs the same amount of money to develop a game now as it did back in the 80's? This thread could have been avoided entirely with the use of some common sense.

Games were closer to $40-$50+, on average, not $29.

[quote user="Cheese ur Wiz"]

So most of us older gamers had fun with NES and all those great days of fun. There was no online game play but still we all had fun correct? Games then cost about 29.00 for a new game. I understand that online gaming has brought gaming to another level but what are these gaming makers thinking....$59-$69 dollars a game on top of us having to pay for online service through xbox? I know some might say get lost if you dont like it....well paid up for another 2 years so not happening there. I just think its pretty stupid on there behalf of finding more and more ways to *** us out of the dollar. They make all these map packs that should have been included in the game already...shortening games so they can add those 10 dollar map packs and  if you dont buy brand new we need a access key to purchase so we can play with friends....I have got to say these is getting pretty far fetched and cant wait to see the next stupid idea they come up with. You dont have to agree with me just wanted to state what was on my mind. You can pay for a 40 dollar used game but still will cost you near new if you have to buy a freaking key to pay online for it that your paying xbox for online portion of there service for. Online gaming is turning into a nightmare and a headache at times. I see why alot of friends are leaving to go to computers and ps3.

[/quote]

PS3 (not sure on PC) still has the online pass for their games as well. You might not need to pay to go online, but with certain games you still need that dreaded online pass.

[quote user="Akradon"]

[quote user="Cheese ur Wiz"]

[/quote]

PS3 (not sure on PC) still has the online pass for their games as well. You might not need to pay to go online, but with certain games you still need that dreaded online pass.

[/quote]

There have always been fees to play games. Even PSO on the Dreamcast had a monthly "Hunter's License" that players had to pay in order to play online. The Xbox is the first (and only) console that charges a fee for the privelage of being charged another fee by someone else. Sorry, since MS isn't kissing me before they **** me, they can keep their gold.

What I find funny is how Activision, the cash cow that it is, doesnt have an online pass for COD. It would make sense, seeing how they've bilked that series for the last 10 years.

This generation, I have paid full price for *maybe* 8 games max. Just spend 10 minutes looking at various sites like Amazon, Newegg, and Cheapassgamer and you're bound to find a deal... a lot of times, $15-20 off.

Back in the '80s and early '90s, I just had to cross my fingers and hope that a sale would pop up... and then customers would be lined up at the door to take advantage of it. As for prices... I remember games breaking down in price in a range of -- $49.99 for 'regular' titles and $59.99 for 'save battery' titles. Then when the SNES came along, they broke the mold with the $69.99 Street Fighter II and $69.99 Street Fighter II Turbo.

At least, that's how it was living in middle-of-nowhere Georgia with the only shopping choices being a Wal-Mart, KMart, and Playland toy store.

As for Live, online play, map packs, DLC, etc... there are some things about it that bothers me. Release day DLC really annoys me. But on a positive note, it gives the gamer choices and they can expand on their gameplay experience. Don't like the 'nickle & dime' game? Then don't pull out your wallet. Simple as that.

as long as we are willing to pay more, more will be charged. Taking advantage of the consumer has become a business standard. Don't let people convince you the higher charges are compensating for higher costs to develop games. That's just a way to convince everyone it's ok to pay more. There are 100x more gamers to pay for these games than there were in Nintendo days. Im no expert but this part seems to get left out since it doesn't help the cause. It doesn't just happen with gaming. By the end of 2013 the makers of Snickers bar has vowed to keep their Snickers bars 250 calories or less, being presented as some sort of community health move. So not only will they be charging the same for basically less candy bar, they convince us they're doing us a favor at the same time, and well believe it.

[quote user="Truthseek3r"]

as long as we are willing to pay more, more will be charged. Taking advantage of the consumer has become a business standard. Don't let people convince you the higher charges are compensating for higher costs to develop games. That's just a way to convince everyone it's ok to pay more. There are 100x more gamers to pay for these games than there were in Nintendo days. Im no expert but this part seems to get left out since it doesn't help the cause. It doesn't just happen with gaming. By the end of 2013 the makers of Snickers bar has vowed to keep their Snickers bars 250 calories or less, being presented as some sort of community health move. So not only will they be charging the same for basically less candy bar, they convince us they're doing us a favor at the same time, and well believe it.

[/quote]That's very, very true and I agree.